× Members

moving home

More
5 years 11 months ago #220213 by astraboots
moving home was created by astraboots
hi i have been offered a bugalow at last by the council i am to sign up and get the keys monday.I am on E.S.A. support and pip standerd rate for both.I am really feeling ill since my friend told me that where i have let my pip and E.S.A build up to pay for my funeral cost and put money aside for my home move i have gone over 6000.limit and as a result will go as an overpayment.I had 4000.in my bank account for the right prepaid funeral plan.Which i paid 3000 out of recently after finally finding the right one.But also had a regular amount transferred to savings account ready for my move as i need every thing replaced as i am downsizing to a bungalow from a large house.,My savings account of 3000 now has come from my pip award and i understand that they do not count this as income But my friend thinks they do and will stop my housing benefit because of over payment as with my savings and bank account balance took the amount over if they combined the two,She said its best to explain to the situation before i go ahead with the move,But i am in a terrable state now and worried sick that i have tried to be sensible and have now messed everything up.Please help and advise me on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #220236 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic moving home
Eve

Being over the £6000 limit for savings should not affect your Housing Benefit, just your ESA, however, even that is not certain as the DWP may accept the additional money is to help you move.

You must contact the DWP about your savings, write to the DWP office dealing with your claim and if you can, send it using a Tracked post so that you have proof of delivery.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 10 months ago #220265 by astraboots
Replied by astraboots on topic moving home
What should be a happy time has turned into a nightmare.I have just signed my new tenancy.And got the keys and paid two weeks upfront in rent for the new property and said to them i will transfer my housing benefit to new property on the 12 /11/18 as i can not move in a week.They said i need to fill in a change of circumstance form.I said i am on full housing benefit as i am on E.S.A. i do not have a change in circumstances just a change of address.They said when i do the form it will tell me to claim U.C. Due to change of circumstances. It to do with the 1000 pound money they give me for the extra bedroom i am giving up.I have been in tears the whole way home can i just not fill in the C.O.C form as it will ruin my life going on to U.C PLEASE HELP ME I CANT COPE .All i need is a smaller property for health reasons.I feell like i am being punished.

More
5 years 10 months ago #220272 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic moving home
Eve

Have you moved Local Authority, if you have and the new LA is a Universal Credit Full Service area then you can only receive HB by making a claim for UC, doing this will mean that your ESA will also be migrated to UC.

If you have not moved LA then you are not making a new claim for HB and there should be no requirement for you to claim UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 10 months ago #220282 by astraboots
Replied by astraboots on topic moving home
No its the same L.A i have phoned H.B and they said i was right and i do not have to apply for a new claim.I should take my tenancy agreement new and old and ask for them to scan them and put on to my housing benefit claim.They can then see its a overlap of two weeks or something.But she did the C.O.C for me about the bedroom.Its awful going in and having to explain to them about this.They all said i would have to claim U.C, Its not right to cause such confusion.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.