× Members

Post Assessment Letter - Do I send?

• Whistler_Lightspeed
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #222472 by Whistler_Lightspeed
Post Assessment Letter - Do I send? was created by Whistler_Lightspeed
Hi all,

My wife has audio processing difficulties which results in delayed processing including memory recall. This has meant that after her face to face PIP Assessment last Saturday she has memory feedback of questions that she realises she was not able to answer correctly or contextually. For example, she was asked if she had any hobbies. She said no because at present she is not in a place to do anything. She then was asked again by the assessor so she went to her go to answer which is walking and being in the back garden with the birds. But because she was not asked anything further she did not give any more details. She needed for the assessor to ask when was the last time she was in the garden or out for a walk? Because my wife would have said she hasn't been on a walk other than for hospital appointments in a long time and has struggled to have the energy to be in the back garden. Because she also has an autism condition she does need prompts and encouragement to explain her answers but unfortunately this didn't happen and because I have audio processing difficulties I could not pick these up either at the time. She was also asked other similar things such as her education history but was not asked for details of her inability to cope and the only answer she could give was that at school she didn't receive any support because it was an era of where the teacher was just happy if a child turned up. my wife was late diagnosed with dyslexia and autism condition. We are not sure if we should clarify things such as the above because we don't want the report to be misleading. There is enough paper evidence to support my wife but we just fear the face to face assessment won't have been fair?

PIP are aware of our concerns due to my wife's audio processing and are happy to send a letter in but we are stuck as to whether it will look like we're trying too hard to prove ourselves but at the same time we also don't want my wife to be misrepresented or her processing difficulties be taken advantage of and not corrected?

My wife got a text today to say DWP have the report so really we need to make a decision quite rapidly.

Any advice?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #222475 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Post Assessment Letter - Do I send?
Whistler

There is no reason why you cannot write to the DWP explaining what happened, doing so won't have any negative impact on her claim.

I would also request a copy of the assessment report by contacting the DWP office dealing with her claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Whistler_Lightspeed
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #222482 by Whistler_Lightspeed
Replied by Whistler_Lightspeed on topic Post Assessment Letter - Do I send?
Thanks Gordon

Do we send the letter with what my wife recalls from memory first? (The DWP have a note on their system as of yesterday that we will be wanting to send the letter). Then, meanwhile, ask for a copy of the report?

Or do we hold off on the letter and ask for the report first then do the letter?

Because we thought the only time we need to ask for the report is if we need a mandatory reconsideration? Or is it that we ask for a copy of the report so that we just have a copy anyway in case or in preparation of it being a mandatory reconsideration?

My main concern is if we get the report first it could delay getting a letter back to them post assessment because with my wife's health and processing difficulties and her current levels of anxiety due to her Autism condition it will take quite a while to go through as the assessment itself was 4 hours. Or is it that the report will be very basic and easier to check against?

Thanks again

More
5 years 9 months ago #222492 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Post Assessment Letter - Do I send?
Whistler

You will have to decide what you send, waiting for the report means that your letter can address any issues in it but it could take a while for you to receive it and the Decision might be made before the DM receives it.

Decisions are taking longer at the moment than usual and of course, we are approaching Christmas and this could add further delay to the Decision.

There is an example PIP assessment report in the PIP area.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whistler_Lightspeed

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.