× Members

Application for Attendance Allowance

More
5 years 5 months ago #223648 by Mags72
Application for Attendance Allowance was created by Mags72
Hi I am in a bit of a delema about applying for AA for my husband. He is my carer and has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the spine over 6 years ago. He is now awaiting to see the Orthopaedic Consultant and has been advised to apply for AA to help with my care and his too. I suffer with many conditions both physical and mental health and also have osteoarthritis of the spine. We are in a repayment plan due to an overpayment of Pension Credit which was classified has a mistake not fraud. Now here is my delema. my husband does not want to apply for AA on the basis that it will flag up on the system and it would effect his claim my PIP and cause us anxiety, he is convinced one or both iof us would have to go into residential care or have a carer coming in daily which our neighbour's already do. I am unable to convince him that this would not be the case but at our ages he feels he doesn't want anymore intrusion in our lives..our lovely young neighbours help us a lot and we do treat them but can't really afford a lot. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #223692 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Application for Attendance Allowance
Margaret

Providing there are no conflicts between the care that he provides you and the reasons that he might be awarded AA then there is no reason why he shouldn't apply, his doing so cannot have any effect on your PIP award.

Do you still receive PC? His being awarded AA may allow a couples claim for the Severe Disability Premium, about £125 per week!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #223724 by Mags72
Replied by Mags72 on topic Application for Attendance Allowance
Hi Gordon thank you for your reply. No he does not receive PC now since I started to receive my SP last July. We both have not so good and bad days and when I say good that's after taking pain relief. He is concerned that if he applied for AA they may question how much help he is now capable of providing for myself. However, I suffer severely with mental health issues too. Also he doesn't want any intrusion from a health care worker in the home. It's a difficult one but I know he does meet the criteria but he says he would rather not claim than "upset the apple cart " has they say!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.