× Members

ESA support group

More
5 years 8 months ago #225758 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA support group

elie wrote: I might not have explained fully but ending the marriage would mean she will move out. Wouldn't this trigger UC?

No, as I have explained, a UC claim will only be required if a new claim for one of the benefits under the UC umbrella is required, nothing in your post suggests that this is needed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: elainep

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #225770 by elainep
Replied by elainep on topic ESA support group
Hi Gordon,
I was thinking about my son's claim again last night and I realised that I'd forgotten something and wanted to check that the advice you gave earlier still stands.
When my son was awarded ESA support group he was single.
When he got married he informed the DWP and the claim was changed to give a personal allowance as a couple and the disability premium was taken off. His wife subsequently claimed carers allowance.
Because his ESA changed from single to couple (his wife doesn't work so that might be the reason) would that trigger change of circumstances and therefore have to apply for UC?
I've read that couples either joining or leaving a household can trigger UC.
They also now have a baby and his wife claims child benefit.

One other thing that springs to mind is housing benefit. He claims that now. Would that carry on under this claim?

I hope you don't mind me going over these questions again. I just want to get it right before they decide what to do.
Many thanks.

More
5 years 8 months ago #225787 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA support group
elie

Someone joining or leaving a couple is not a UC trigger whatever you have read, he already has an HB claim, child benefit does not come under UC.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 8 months ago #225788 by elainep
Replied by elainep on topic ESA support group
Thank you so much Gordan. Really appreciate your help.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid