× Members

When PIP is result affects ESA

More
5 years 5 months ago #229090 by Cat in a hat
When PIP is result affects ESA was created by Cat in a hat
Hi all. During the last 12 months, I've had medicals and assessments for both ESA and PIP. (PIP was the inevitable transition from my DLA, which I was awarded a lifetime award of middle rate care/low Mobility at the time, over 20 years ago).
When my ESA assessment was decided, they moved me from support group to WRAG. I filed a Mandatory reconsideration, which was turned down. I then lodged an appeal for tribunal and interestingly, just about 6 weeks ago, the DWP wrote to me telling me they had 'lapsed my appeal' after looking again at all the information in my case and had reversed their decision in my favour.
Result! Or so I thought. For approx 3 weeks, my ESA payments increased to include the severe disability component and the premium for being in support group. They also paid the arrears for the shortfall (which was around 6/8 weeks backpay)

In the meantime, my PIP assessment finally took place. This in itself had been an ongoing saga, as the Independant Assessment Service had cancelled my appointments roughly 8 times before the assessor actually kept the appointment in early March.

When I got the decision back, they had awarded me Enhanced mobility, (12 points) but only given 5 points for daily living, which means I am awarded nothing for the daily living component .

Being just 3 points away from getting the standard daily living award, it wasn't too difficult to send in a Mandatory Reconsideration highlighting where I believe the decision maker had not taken into account how my disability affects me.

However, I have been informed that although PIP ordinarily should not affect ESA or other benefits, in my case it will. Apparently I will once again lose the Severe disability premium of ESA, as this was awarded due to receiving middle rate care of DLA. And if I lose the severe disability premium, I will once again be downgraded to WRAG.

The PiP doesn't give an end date, just states, 'awarded for an ongoing period'.
So right now, I'm caught in a catch 22 situation.

I'm waiting for the decision from the PIP Mandatory reconsideration which I lodged approx 10 days ago, but doubt they are going to make any speedy decisions.

can you tell me if the information I received is correct? Also, if you've come across anyone else in this situation?
In addition to this, I am awaiting results from 2 biopsies I had recently, but since DWP aren't interested in 'unquantifiables' it didn't seem worth mentioning, but its just another thing to worry about from my perspective.
Thanks in advance for any info/advice you might offer. Keep up the great work! Best wishes, Cat

Think like a proton, always positive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #229102 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic When PIP is result affects ESA
Cat in a hat

You will certainly lose the Severe Disability Premium as one of the eligibility criteria is that you have a PIP Daily Living award but there is no reason why you would be moved to the WRAG from the Support Group if they have made an SG award.

Why do you think that they have/will do this?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #229115 by Cat in a hat
Replied by Cat in a hat on topic When PIP is result affects ESA
Thank you for replying Gordon. I was told by an advice worker that losing the severe disability premium would mean I lose my support group status.
I'm guessing there is no way to get my MR decision expedited either...?

More
5 years 5 months ago #229128 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic When PIP is result affects ESA

Cat in a hat wrote: Thank you for replying Gordon. I was told by an advice worker that losing the severe disability premium would mean I lose my support group status.
I'm guessing there is no way to get my MR decision expedited either...?

The SD Premium has no effect on your SG status whatsoever.

You are looking at 8-10 weeks for the MR, I'm afraid there is little that you can do to speed it up, the delay is due to a lack of staffs o even if you got your MP involved there is little that they can do to overcome this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #229176 by Cat in a hat
Thanks Gordon. Seriously don't know how I'm going to manage. ESA has seemingly gone from £360 a fortnight to £198 a fortnight and coupled with reduced PiP from DLA, its going to be a nightmare. Already gone from size 12/14 to where size 8 is too big from weight loss, so don't know how I can afford to reduce my outgoings any more than already am.
Feel embarrassed to have to use foodbanks and itd be difficult to actually get to one even if I knew how to access this? MR decision cant come fast enough!

More
5 years 5 months ago #229177 by Cat in a hat
They haven't actually even given me a breakdown of ESA payment and how theyve worked it out. I only know the amount because my bank account is showing ESA pending payment which will be the first since PiP decision

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.