× Members

ESA and occasional work - Advice needed

More
5 years 5 months ago #229163 by gaz111
Hello,

I receive ESA (support group ) and I wanted to enquire about doing occasional work and how this may affect my benefits.

I suffer from various mental health problems and can not cope with regular employment. I would however, like to do occasional work, maybe a few days here and there.

Now, I was thinking about joining an acting agency as this is something I’ve always found enjoyable and therapeutic. The work would be as and when and I would say no long contracts as I wouldn’t be able to cope with this, the reality is, it may be a few days here and there working on a tv commercial maybe.

Now, this is quite good pay so I’m aware that it would be over the permitted work earnings. I’m scared that I would lose my ESA completely and I wouldn’t be able to manage if I did. My mental health would be worse and it would just be a nightmare. I wanted to try and do something occasionally that I liked and hope it may even lead to a brighter future at some point.

My worry is that because the nature of the work is not typical, the DWP could think my mental health doesn’t affect me because of this and they may stop my benefits?

I don’t know who to ask for advice on this. It’s really tricky. Any advice much appreciated. My mental health is very complicated and unpredictable.

Many thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #229171 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and occasional work - Advice needed
Gaz

You cannot earn over the PW limit, if you do then you will not be paid your ESA for that week, repeatedly doing so could result in the DWP reassessing your claim.

You also need to consider whether the work is at odds with the reasons that you receive ESA, as an example; if you receive ESA because you have problems mixing with other people then this acting would suggest that you no longer have that problem.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.