× Members

My partner moving in

More
4 years 10 months ago #234877 by Daisychain3410
My partner moving in was created by Daisychain3410
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. I have several health issues I have been suffering from for many years. Both physically and mentally. I am in my 40,s and stuck at home most of the time. Due to pain and anxiety and depression. My partner helps me he does my shopping and comes and cooks me dinner. Then he was in an accident that was the other drivers fault he suffered bad whiplash. And now suffers from tremors in his hands /arms and pain in his back and neck as well as bad headaches. He is self employed and therefore had no money for months while being off work. He applied for esa but was turned down due to NI contributions. So he’s had no income for months and he’s run up debt. Due to both our situation it make sense for him to move in as then he is around for me and we only have one set of outgoings. The problem is from what I read on line the dwp take all your money off you if a partner moves in ? Is that true ? I currently receive full rent paid. Plus most of my council take I pay some. I am on esa support group only. My partner claims no benefits he is self employed last year due to ill health slowing him down he earns after expenses 6k that’s all as he was not working for months. He has started working again now but he is slower and needs days in between jobs to recover. Due to the pain the day after. For this reason his income for this year is looking at being around the 10k mark. Before we make any changes with regards to my partner moving in. we just wanted some advice as the dwp are very stressful to deal with and one mention of change and all sorts could go wrong when they are dealing with it. My question is this

1) based on a yearly income of between 8-12k per year (my partner) how will that affect the following benefits

A) esa support group (I have no idea is its income or contribution based ? It’s not on the letter they sent. It’s about £126 a week and the only income I have.
B) housing benefit ?
C) council tax benefit ? (I know I’ll lose my single person discount)

If it does affect my benefits him moving in. is there an alternative I can claim that won’t be affected ? to replace them as I can not work and have no way of helping to cover all the bills other than my ESA. And his wage won’t cover all the outgoings alone.

2) I was a single mum for many years my son is now 19 and is in the marines I was paying bedroom tax on the spare room when he moved out. Yet since being on support group esa the council no longer request this ? Does being on esa make a difference to how much they take for the spare room ? As I’m still paying towards council tax a bit? I have contacted the council few times asking if it’s right I’m not paying bedroom tax ? but they say it’s fine with no explanation and I’m scared I’ll end up with a big bill at the end of it all I can’t pay back ? As I have a spare room that’s not being used.

3) my son is in the marines he lives in Devon with his company. Yet when he gets leave he wants to come home and visit both me and his father (we are divorced). Is there anything stopping my son staying with me or leaving stuff at mine or using my address for doctors and mail. for when he is home on leave ? If he still has a room at my home but only lives there a few weeks a year when on leave how would that affect my benefits as he is earning and not paying anything to me as he’s no living with me anymore ? Is he allowed to stay on those occasions without it causing me any extra upset with the Dwp.

4) lastly if it turns out I’ll lose everything and can’t claim anything else in its place. My partner won’t be able to move in which would really help with my care and the cost of petrol between our homes so much. My question is in that case how many nights can he stay over without actually moving in ? And what is classed as living with me versus just staying in the eyes of the dwp ?

I’m sorry I know it’s a lot of questions but my mind races and I worry about losing my home and struggling even more than we both are now. so I want to ensure I’m following correct procedures.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me in advance.

Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #234886 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My partner moving in
Hi Stephanie

Before we can give you an answer you will need to find out what type of ESA your are claiming. The information is usually on the last page of the up date letter DWP send out Jan/Feb time, if not phone ESA enquiry line 0800 169 0310 and ask.

If you are in receipt of contribution based ESA then your partner moving in will not affect your ESA but it will affect other means tested benefits you may be claiming such as housing benefit, Council Tax.

Unfortunately we do not give advice on HB queries, you may want to consider contacting you local welfare rights unit such as Citizens Advice or Shelter:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk
england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

If you struggle to get out then you can contact Turn2us 0808 802 2000 or use their web site www.turn2us.org.uk for answers to your questions, but the first question they will ask is what type of ESA do you claim, income related or contribution related?

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.