× Members

20 years DLA psychosis, dreading pip assessment- !

More
4 years 10 months ago #234983 by Gaggs
Husband has Pip assessment- this Friday. DLA for past 20 years. Suffers psychosis with schizophrenic episodes, managed by my care and lifetime medication. He looks well and can be fine some days. How on earth do we explain the uphill struggle I've had keeping him well, the fact he is very able bodied but bloody minded most of the time. Dressing assessment with this invisible condition. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #234990 by Gordon
Gaggs

Is your husband aware of his conditions and how they affect him?

Is there any independent evidence of his limitations, for example; an Occupational Health assessment?

There is a list of the questions that he is likely to be asked in the PIP Claim guide, you could go through them and rehearse some answers.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #235012 by Gaggs
Thank you Gordon for replying.
My husband is fully aware of his condition. Talking about it with him is difficult as it's like picking at a wound for him. He can be bloody minded when under pressure. Should I let him speak for himself or as his carer should I fill in the blanks at the assessment? We moved four years ago and have no firm relationship with present doctors other than medication reviews. How can we explain how it affects him when we have little present evidence, and I feel we're being punished for me coping with his regime set down years ago. ( I had to give up work as he was sectioned 20 years ago.) Professionals from then unavailable, and as lifetime award for DLA given long before PIP was started, have not kept old records. Much appreciate any advice you can offer

More
4 years 10 months ago #235013 by Gordon
Gaggs

The first thing I would suggest is that you both go and see his GP to see what if any assistance they might be able to offer. Many GPs have little or no knowledge of their patients limitations in the home so you are not that much worse off than many others.

Also, medical evidence does not always testify to the day to day problems that people have so not having anything recent may not be the issue you perceive it to be. I know someone who received the Enhanced rates for both with just a diagnosis letter from six years ago.

Is there likely to be anything in his medical records, that you do not already have a copy off, that would be helpful?

His carer could provide a letter of support, explaining what she has to do for him and why.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #235021 by BIS
Hi Gaggs

Just to add to what Gordon has said. If you didn't at the time of putting in your form, you should also write a letter, describing the limitations and the impact (linking them as much as you can to the PIP criteria). Don't underestimate the power of this letter. I have personal experience of claiming PIP for someone with this condition and that's what we did. Few people understand psychosis unless they live with it. How much you will be allowed to speak at the assessment will be up to the assessor. They vary in this, but they will want to hear from your husband or they will be unable to gauge the difficulties he has.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.