× Members

SSP Ending

• Michelle.garwood34
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #235025 by Michelle.garwood34
SSP Ending was created by Michelle.garwood34
Hello,

I have been off work for 5 months sick following failed shoulder surgery. I am on PIP for other problems to. Now that my SSP is coming to an end what benefits can I claim? I'm really confused about the different ESA's and UC. Could you point me in the right direction. Would I also get a disability premium for receiving enhanced PIP daily living? Could you also tell me is the support group for ESA done on a points system?

Thanks for your help

Shell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235031 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SSP Ending
Shell

You have two options for ill-health benefits.

1. If you have a minimum of 50 weeks of NI Contributions in the two Tax Years 2016-17 and 2017-18 then you can make a claim for New Style ESA.

www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa

NS ESA is claimed as an individual and is not affected by your income and savings with the exception of pension income which can lead to a deduction.

2. If you don't have the NICs then you can claim Universal Credit

www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

UC is claimed as a household so a partner may be required to attend at your local JC+, it is affected by your household income and savings and assets.

In both cases you will be assessed to see whether you have Limited Capability for Work, you will need to provide Fit Notes until a Decision is made. The criteria is the same for both benefits.

You won't get any Premiums with either benefit, these are only available on what are now called legacy benefits.

The Support Group (NS ESA) and LCWRA Group (UC) are not points based you need to meet one or more of the associated Descriptors, see our ESA/UC Claim guides for details

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.