× Members

Esa couple claim .

More
4 years 10 months ago #235054 by JJ
Esa couple claim . was created by JJ
Hi Team
I am named on my partners esa IR claim. (But CB also I think) support group.
Years ago I had to give up work due to health related problems but unfortunately was a couple of points short at a review assessment to continue qualify for esa. At the time the claim was reverted to my partners name, as he had an ongoing underlying entitlement from previous incapacity benefit.
We both have strong historical contribution records.
In effect I do not claim anything for myself, apart from carers allowance. As I suffered an accident a few years ago which has caused a deterioration in my health I am wondering if I should try to claim esa in addition or if I should just leave the claim as it is.
I'm not sure if we would be any better off as I know there is an element already in the claim for myself as a partner. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235071 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa couple claim .
Joy

You can't make a new claim for ESA unless your partner's ESA includes the Severe Disability Premium which does not appear to be the case as you do not mention that either of you are in receipt of DLA MRC or HRC or that you have a PIP Daily Living award.

You can claim Universal Credit but this can only be done if your partner closes their ESA(IR) claim, they would retain the ESA(CB) part. I can't tell you whether this would be advantageous to you or not but you can put your information into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #235081 by JJ
Replied by JJ on topic Esa couple claim .
Thank you Gordon.
My partner receives standard rate for daily living needs. It also says on his esa entitlement that he has extra money because of the 'Disability income guarantee . ' I can't see anything for 'severe disability premium'. I suppose they are different?
I will try the calculation anyway.
Thank you.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235084 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa couple claim .
Joy

You would both need to have a PIP or DLA award for the SDP to be in payment, it will show as "money because you are severely disabled" on the ESA Entitlement Letters.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JJ

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.