× Members

Transition to PIP

More
4 years 10 months ago #235059 by dla-to-pip
Transition to PIP was created by dla-to-pip
As a paralytic polio sufferer, I received DLA, both components at the highest rate. I did not claim the benefit for several decades, and when I did, DSS/DWP staff were never 'soft' but they were both civil and professional. Then in 2017, to my initial surprise and shock, I experienced a full blast of "DWP's hostile environment and persecution" for over a year. Luckily for me, the DWP decision-maker was so crudely hostile that within the first couple of minutes I realised what was about to happen to me.
I won my case. DWP withdrew their case at the First-tier Tribunal saying the case should never have been brought!
Through my preparation for the case, I learnt 5 things: (i) UK's judiciary is not yet intimidated by cruel governance; (ii) The people of this country (particularly GPs and volunteers at Citizens Advice etc) are still professional and compassionate and stand up to injustice; (iii) One need not cower into submission however intimidatory and unlawful the 'uncivil service' is; (iv) Download the statutes and prepare your case - seek help from advisors and friends - be legal, not emotional. Be factual, evidential, detailed. Learn how lawyers prepare a legal defence. There are suggested formats, presentation conventions and stylistics, even suggested fonts and paragraph spacing! Plenty of free stuff and guidance on the internet! (v) Stay calm, else you will become even more ill!!!

Then I was invited to apply for PIP.

My PIP application was approved with a minimum of trouble - all thanks to the Guidance Notes produced and published by this website.
Lessons learnt: (i) Read all the material intended for the applicant, their advisor and DWP and their mercenaries. (ii) In preparing/reviewing your submission, put yourself in the role of the cruellest DWP staff and their hired guns. (iii) ASSUME your case will go to Tribunal; your PIP application is your first legal defence document at the First-tier Tribunal. (iv) Provide full details, so that a non-medical person can clearly understand it (important if you go to Tribunal). The Form is too short. Attach additional pages for each section that applies to you. There is no page/word limit to the PIP application. Don’t waffle – be succinct. (Tribunal judges are busy people.) (v) Enclose the GP's Assessment with your application (vi) Enclose medical evidence. (vii) Read, re-read, re-re-read.
TIP: "Preparing Food" is about assessing how functional are one's hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW, BIS, Kab, riget

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235062 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Transition to PIP
Hi dal-to-pip

Congratulations on your PIP award. Good to hear after your previous experience.

BIS

Tags: @RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #235072 by riget
Replied by riget on topic Transition to PIP
TIP: "Preparing Food" is about assessing how functional are one's hands.

This is what I've been questioning but no one has come out and said it.
It's so obvious to me that it has nothing to do with cooking a meal.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.