× Members

Phone call from DWP

More
4 years 10 months ago #235139 by Sonia
Replied by Sonia on topic Phone call from DWP
Sorry to keep asking questions, but I am concerned about my husbands very positive answers, and not telling the whole truth about his condition, would it be OK for me to interject in the assessment if he claims to be able to do things that he cannot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235140 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Phone call from DWP
Hi Sonia

The assessor should establish at the beginning of the assessment whether or not you are allowed to speak, how much and when. This varies from one assessor to another and you need to be careful because at least one forum member tried to interject on behalf of their partner and the interview was stopped and their claim was returned to the DWP saying that they had not co-operated in the process. There have been others where partners or friends have not been able to say much at all. The assessor wants to hear from the claimant.

If the assessor does not say anything about this then your husband should ask at the beginning or you, if he forgets.

Unless your husband has diagnosed cognitive problems they are likely to accept 'his truth' of his condition rather than anything you try and say to the contrary.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #235141 by Sonia
Replied by Sonia on topic Phone call from DWP
Thanks BIS, that's good advise, the reason my husband gloss over his condition is because he has been doing so for the past 40 odd years to keep his employment and it has become part of him. BUT I will explain he has to tell the truth and not say what he wishes it is like.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235151 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic Phone call from DWP
Sonia,

I understand. It’s brutal to see our loved ones fight so hard against a condition only for them to become a victim of their own success when being assessed.

My hubby has Parkinson’s and I attended his f2f with him. It is a balancing act, not only in terms of letting them answer but also being mindful to respect the fact that it is their assessment. However there were times when I interjected, especially when I could see that the assessor was using leading questions.

There were a couple of times that I felt she was a bit annoyed with me, but these were countered by a couple of other occasions when I knew she listened and made note of what I said. I guess you have to play it a bit by ear on the day.

I’m not sure whether this made a difference but they knew I was both carer and wife. Leaning into the role of carer may shift the amount of involvement the assessor allows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sonia

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.