× Members

LCW Assessment

More
4 years 10 months ago #235112 by Jensutty
LCW Assessment was created by Jensutty
Good evening!

Quick picture, first time benefit claimant, straight into UC,. Husband works full time, we have two dependant children, I have worked for 15 years but my mental health has deteriorated and I am now unable to work. I am signed off by my GP. Currently in receipt of a very small amount of UC based on our circumstances. I am in the process of WCA assessment and awaiting hearing back from the UC50 form I submitted.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify a couple of things for me please!

Am I right in thinking that the WCA assessment start date is from when they first received medical evidence that I was not fit to work? And if so would this be from when I provided them with my first sick note (which was 20th may)? Or am I wrong, is this instead from the day I provided them with my EC50 form which was 9th July?

And am I right in thinking that the assessment process for LWC takes approximately three months from the point of the medical evidence (assuming then it’s the fit note) being provided? And if so that means I potentially could expect to learn about or receive any payments from around 20th August? Or if the medical evidence is the UC50 then around the 9th October.

I also read online that first time claimants who have not previously been assessed as having LCW will not receive any additional UC. Is this correct? If so I absolutely cannot survive, we are desperate for money to support the family. If this is the case then what is the point of me going through this assessment if I am not going to get anything after all!

Thank you in advance for your help

Kind regards

Jenny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235128 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic LCW Assessment
Jenny

Yes, the LCW period starts from when you presented your first Fit Note, the Assessment period runs for a minimum of three pay periods (months) but the assessment could take longer than this to arrange although our understanding is that new claims are now being prioritised.

If an award is made then the first payment is somewhat complicated, it will be the first pay period following the three month period since you presented your first Note, so it could be three months but it could also be just short of four.

From March 2017, new claims for ESA and UC could not be paid the WRAG/LCW component just the Personal Allowance. claims that result in the Support Group or LCWRA Group are paid an additional amount.

So, if you are assessed as having LCW but not LCWRA then you would continue to receive the UC that you are currently receiving but not receive any additional payments.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jensutty

More
4 years 10 months ago #235142 by Jensutty
Replied by Jensutty on topic LCW Assessment
Hi Gordon

Thank you so much for your reply

Jenny

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.