× Members

PIP Success

More
4 years 10 months ago #235146 by trish06
PIP Success was created by trish06
Just wanted to say thank you to Gordon and the Benefits and Works team. I applied for PIP 15 months ago for my son who has mental health issues and is currently on the waiting list to be tested for Autism (he is 31). This is the third time we have been through this and I only tried again because of the change in the law in December 2017 around psychological distress. We have been through the F2F and suffered the usual fabrication of what he said - basically used a psychological test he had when he was 10!! We were again refused following mandatory reconsideration so have been waiting for a Tribunal hearing date since 18th March 2019.
I have since sent a letter from his counsellor, the mental health autism assessment nurse and general mental health nurse. Every time I sent a letter I updated them on his condition and even sent copies of emails he had sent me when he was in one of his rages - they are very scary and difficult to read. I did this after reading advice on B & W to keep sending information and not giving up.
To my astonishment I received a phone call today from the DWP saying that, following receipt of the new evidence, the tribunal has been "quashed" and my son has been awarded the enhanced rate for daily living and mobility. I admit I burst into tears of joy and disbelief and am finding it hard to take it in. I don't think I will believe it until I get it in writing but this is huge news for my son and our family. At 31 he wants to be financially independent and he told me his proudest moment will be when he can pay me rent (I will of course put it away for him as I don't want it but am not going to deny him his moment).
Following a battle earlier this year I did manage to get him moved from WRAC to Support Group in ESA as well so a success story on both.
All I can say is don't give up the fight. Proving mental health issues is so difficult but gather every bit of evidence you can. Good luck everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235147 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Success
Hi Trish06

Congratulations on winning the PIP award and ESA award for your son. It is great to hear and interesting how you continued to send evidence in. Good news for you both.

BIS

Tags: @RESULT @PIP @APPEAL @ESA

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: trish06

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.