× Members

Template letter for requesting medical records

More
5 years 1 month ago #237195 by Bonitaplaya
Hi, I have today received another ESA50 to complete for review of my claim and I am thinking about requesting my medical records from my GP and hospital consultants to help me with this daunting prospect. I am sure when I last requested these a number of years ago, I did so using a template letter which I printed off from the Benefits and Work Forum site, does anyone know if this template still exists because I can’t seem to find one. I would be very grateful of any help, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #237199 by Gordon
UNCLE M

I'm afraid we don't have a template letter for this but all your letter needs to say is what records you want and for what period, if you know it then it may help if you include your NHS number. See

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/h...your-health-records/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #237203 by Bonitaplaya
Replied by Bonitaplaya on topic Template letter for requesting medical records
Thank you for your prompt reply Gordon, it is appreciated.

More
5 years 1 month ago #237216 by Maxit
Uncle M,

Have you checked that a written request is still needed?

I'm not sure if this is just my practice but.... I've requested my medical file three times, it used to be I needed to put a request in writing and pay £10 (this was the case for the first two requests).

I recently put in another request and received them just this month only this time I had to fill in a very simple request form (name, address d.o.b, dates to and from of files requested and then sign it), best of all they no longer charge.

I also put in a data request for a copy of a Videoscopy video from my hospital a few month back, again this was a form and there was no charge so maybe there has been some change in the guidelines on how data requests are handled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bonitaplaya

More
5 years 1 month ago #237287 by Gary
Hi Maxit

GDPR applies across the entirety of Europe but each individual country has the ability to make its own small changes. In the UK, the government has created a new Data Protection Act (2018) which replaces the 1998 Data Protection Act. Since GDPR came into force (25 May 2018) any SAR request is now free of charge whereas under 1998 DPA you were charged £10.

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-da...ion-regulation-gdpr/

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxit

More
5 years 1 month ago #237288 by alisp
I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, as it's sort of related, and under the circumstances I didn't really want to start a new one, but ...

several days ago I wrote a long post asking for a second opinion on a GP's letter in support of our PIP appeal, but it hasn't appeared online yet. So I'm wondering whether the Mods are still chewing it over, whether they decided it was too sensitive to allow through, or ... whether I actually forgot to hit Send! If it's the latter, then silly me, I'll redo it, but if it's too sensitive is there any way I can rephrase it? The tribunal date's getting closer, and I'm no clearer on whether submitting it may do more harm than good.

Many thanks.

Carer for a long-term ME/CFS sufferer

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid