× Members

pip telephone assessment

More
2 years 7 months ago #267225 by Faatima
pip telephone assessment was created by Faatima
i have a pip telephone assessment , a rebook after it was cancelled , assessor called sick. it ws rebooked for tomorrow.
any advice how it will begin , i am a mental health patient and suffer from osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia..i am shaking from fear and anxiety i cannot even write properly ...
any advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #267240 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic pip telephone assessment
Hi FATU_99

If you have a look at our PIP guide page 105, at the link below you will see that there are 9 pages which include advice on telephone assessments. Yes, a lot of the questions are those that would have been asked if you had a face to face assessment.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants

- Write yourself a bullet point list of any particular points you want to get over, so you have it by you during the assessment, tick them as you cover them during the assessment.
- have paper and pens to hand to make any notes such as the assessors name, date, time
- make sure you are seated in a comfortable chair, you are going to be there a while and at table to make notes
- if you can't hear or understand what is being asked then ask them to repeat the question
- don’t let the assessor rush you and get you flustered.
- don't forget to have a glass of water if needed so you don't get a dry throat and lose your voice!

Don't forget to contact DWP 48 hours after the assessment and ask for a copy of the assessors report called PA4.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 7 months ago #267242 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic pip telephone assessment
Hi FATU_99,
I think the most important thing is to make a recording. I appreciate that there isn't much time, but if you can get hold of a friend who has a phone which you can borrow, it is probably easier than trying to record and talk from the same device. A laptop would probably work too. If the friend can sit with you, that is also good.

It's hard to predict exactly how the assessment will go. It depends on whether you have someone who understands mental health. Not all assessors or indeed assessments are nasty, and some are understanding and efficient., so let's be positive and hope that yours is not a bad experience.

Maybe make a few notes ,and if you have a copy of the claim form please try and read it beforehand.
Get the assessor to repeat the question if you don't understand. Don't worry if you get upset or confused, these are all things that are part and parcel of mental health problems, and this is important. Don't try and be brave (I know this sounds counterintuitive!) but you need to be yourself, and if that is the anxious, nervous person, who can hardly get words out, then that is who you need to be for the assessment. Tell it how it is, warts and all, try not to be embarrassed. If you have incontinence, mention it. Don't 'feel silly' for being forgetful or nearly burning the kitchen down during cooking.
As you have probably realised, PIP is a very negative process. Normally we try and make the best of any disability or frailty we have, we try and manage, we finding coping mechanisms, but if you say you can manage to do something, that won't achieve any points! Think about the time it takes to do things, think about weird ways you do stuff, to try and work around your health problems. Think of a non disabled friend, how do they do the activity. Are they quicker than you? Do you get confused or muddled, maybe you can never finish certain activities. Maybe someone has to help you to finish, or even prompt you to start. Be brutally honest, however difficult that is.
If you need a break say so. If you feel tired or confused say so. Assessor's often complain about claimants not sounding in pain or tired. (I'm not totally sure what this would actually sound like unless you were constantly yawning or moaning loudly!) but you eg could say, can we have a break for a few minutes, as I'm feeling tired, or get out of the chair and stretch and ask the assessor just to hold off the next question whilst you stretch as you were beginning to get cramp/leg pain, and needed to walk around for a moment. If you need time to answer the question say so.
Try not to take any extra medicine unless you really have to. Claimants often think it's going to be a hard day so I'll take a couple of paracetamol etc - the trouble with this is that you may well have a clear head, and the leg pain will reduce, but then you certainly won't sound tired or in pain! Take all your usual medicines, of course, but the extra ones should be avoided as it will give a false impression of your health.
The assessor will usually ask a few general questions to confirm you name etc, where you live and who lives with you. Maybe also whether you have a job, or claim ESA/UC. You may then be asked about hobbies, and whether you drive.
For some reason DWP believe that the ability to drive means you can do everything, including peeling vegetables, and dressing. If you do drive, explain where you go and how often.
There will then be a series of questions about each activity, how you do it (or not). Try not to get 'persuaded' to say you can always eg walk to the corner shop, every day, when you only go there once a month, and only if absolutely necessary.
I know that assessments are very daunting, and put fear into people. Try not to worry. Try to channel your energy into presenting the best possible case. Make notes if you wish, or a friend can. Be yourself, be honest, that is all you can do. And remember to phone up DWP after a couple of days to ask for a copy of the report. (PA4).
Good luck.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.