× Members

PIP telephone assessment questions

More
2 years 5 months ago #269239 by drummer53
PIP telephone assessment questions was created by drummer53
I have a telephone assessment tomorrow and I’ve been through all the guides but can find anything about what to expect in a telephone assessment, like what questions they ask or how they trip you up. Etc

I have long term mental health , I’m in process of getting refered to primary care for proper mental health diagnosis because seems more complex than depression and as i have many close relatives with bipolar but I haven’t been diagnosed yet.

I have dyslexia, dyspraxia, and adhd. I tried getting help from citizens advice, benefit buddies and local advocates but everything is either booked up or they don’t really know this information.

Any advice appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #269241 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic PIP telephone assessment questions
Hi Vincent,
In my experience, normally there are a few general questions about your illnesses etc and then about your house, who lives with you etc. There then might be more specific questions about PIP activities.
Firstly what I would suggest is to do everything that you would normally do today eg go for a walk, go shopping etc. Go to bed at the usual time, unless you are exhausted in pain etc. Don't take any extra meds unless you really have to. By doing this, you will present as the normal version of you. If you are well rested, dosed up with pills you will not seem tired of in pain Alternatively you will be in amelliw mon anxious state, either unable to focus on the questions or will come across as chilled out and not stressed. That is definitely not the impression you want to make! (By all means rest up take more meds at any other time but not for PIP assessments!)
Be aware that if you drive DWP assume you can do everything. (Yes I know it sounds stupid that you can peel a carrot and not burn the sausages because you can drive, but that's what often seems to be written in the reports.)
In you can, have some one with you. Someone who can write a note of what is said. (Also include a note if reg if you need to move about to be comfortable or if you yawn etc.) Also make your own recording. You don't need to tell the assessor. (You can't rely on an official recording being done, as this sometimes doesn't happen.)
Be yourself, be brutally honest. This is a negative process, its all about the things you can't do. Disabled people often think they can do something properly, because they have developed methods that allow them to do activities. However, these coping strategies often take a long time or basically are a compromise bit really getting the thing done as it should be.
Equally, British culture is such that we don't really like to talk about ourselves, particularly not disabilities. But all this means is the Assessor gets told 'yes I manage to do that', and of course no points are awarded. Imagine a chap with a bad back and bad arm. He has no grab rails in the shower, so he props his bad arm onto the window. He can the use his good hand to wash him self. This chap told me he could therefore wash himself ok, and wouldn't get points. I told him he would get points because he was leaning on the window, in a slippery environment, with poor balance. At best his hand could go through the window. At worst, and hopefully not, he could actually fall totally through the window. Eeeek! He wasn't safe and he certainly wasn't washing effectively so didn't reach an 'acceptable standard ' either.
Hence this shows that saying you cope, or I can do this ok won't give you any points. Its better to say I can't do this alone, or I need help, or even I can't do this...
Talk about you pain, how long it takes, include examples.
Remember to Phone DWP 2 or 3 days later ro request a copy of the report. (PA4 form)
Reading the claim form again will help. Have a set of notes on the table to refer to if need be.
Good luck. Just be yourself.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.