× Members

LCWRA and going abroad

More
1 year 7 months ago #273755 by Tom
LCWRA and going abroad was created by Tom
Hi There,

I am in the LCWRA group. One of the many health reasons I am in it is that I get severe seasonal affective disorder on top of my regular year round depression, to the point where I have regular suicidal thoughts in autumn and winter. A few years ago when I wasn't on any benefits I spent 6 weeks in Australia in winter to escape, but I know that when you are on UC you cant go abroad for over a month unless its for medical reasons. This is hypothetical at the moment, but say if I wanted to go again and stay with my friend there for longer than a month, would making the argument (which is true!) that I am going for medical reasons, aka my mental health, likely be accepted by the DWP, or would the likely refuse it? Also, would merely asking to go potentially risk them saying I now need to be reassessed for LCWRA?

It would be good to hear from anyone with experience on this :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #273764 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic LCWRA and going abroad
Hi Tom

You pose an interesting question, which is outside the remit of the forum.

If you go abroad for over 4 weeks then your claim will cease, you would need a doctors letter to try and argue it was for medical reasons.

You may want to run your arguement past your local Welfare Rights Organisation.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 6 months ago #273776 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic LCWRA and going abroad
hiya,

yrs ago one could do what you were suggesting, once it was cleared from the secretary of state, In fact there was a a programme on living overseas in Europe like the ones on the tv now on channel 4 and a man with SAD, and ME, who successfully moved to Portugal as he could demonstrate it was better for his health. Subsequently all such movements have ceased. It was only to Europe tho and not elsewhere, stuff to do with EU/UK compatibility rules.
I too had a letter from the SoC, however it is no longer usable and has not been for years. In other words it was not worth the paper it was written on, and moreover I am not sure how that now would stand for the man who had successfully used this route. No longer are there any routes for such movement and even if there is it again will only be re Europe and not OZ etc. The reduction in time movement abroad has been tightened over and over again and no doubt it will be again tightened shortly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 month 4 days ago #289383 by J.b
Replied by J.b on topic LCWRA and going abroad
Is this 4 weeks total for that year? Or 4 weeks consecutive? I have family living abroad and my mum is ill right now.

More
1 month 4 days ago #289384 by J.b
Replied by J.b on topic LCWRA and going abroad
Hi,

Is this 4 weeks total for that year? Or 4 weeks consecutive, as in 28 days consecutive?

More
1 month 4 days ago #289402 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic LCWRA and going abroad
Hi J.b

If you go abroad, you can continue to get Universal Credit for one month.
You must:

* be eligible for Universal Credit when you’re going abroad
* remain eligible for it while you’re abroad
* tell your work coach that you’re going

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.