× Members

Epilepsy and PIP appeal

More
1 year 10 months ago #275543 by Tina
Epilepsy and PIP appeal was created by Tina
Hi
Bear with me I'm new to this website.
My daughter who's 33 years old has just been forced out of her NHS job due to having uncontrolled epileptic and pseudo seizures on a weekly basis. This has impacted on her mental health condition and her condition has deteriorated.
She has just been refused PIP mandatory consideration and only scored 2 points for preparing food and 2 for washing and bathing. Can you please offer some advice on how to score more points considering her conditions?
Sorry I've been looking at the guidance but seem to be going round in circles.
Tina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #275554 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Epilepsy and PIP appeal
Hi Tina

When it comes to applying for PIP - it's not the condition per se that the DWP are interested in, but how a claimant's condition affects them with regard to the specific PIP criteria. So two people who have the same condition will not necessarily be awarded identical scores. Have you got hold of the PA4 (the assessor's report) so you know what the assessor thought? It makes it much easier to fight a case if you have that document.

I don't know how much you initially explained on the form about your daughter's condition - but in terms of the uncontrolled epilepsy - this will need to affect her for the majority of the time - 4 days out of 7. Only you know how often she is affected, and obviously, there are severe safety issues if there's no warning. If there is a danger that she might have a fit when having a bath or shower - does she avoid them altogether? does she need supervision? has she hurt herself? Does she have to wash quickly so there is no danger in her hurting herself? Are there any triggers associated with washing that increase the chances of a fit eg fear of having one causing her to have one?

Now she may not have fits very often but may have a very high risk. I have a relation that has had only two (that we know of), but what happens when he has one is very serious - so it's too risky for him to shower alone, and this was a point made when applying for his PIP. Don't expect them to know. You have to tell them in detail. If you have had a look at the guide, it talks about safety, reliability and standards. Reread it (page 50) Even if your daughter uses any aids, it won't stop her from having a fit.

Now I am going to mention the pseudo-seizures separately. The Epilepsy Society suggests that people don't use the term as it is widely misunderstood. They prefer dissociative seizures. epilepsysociety.org.uk/about-epilepsy/wh...pINV2hUaAsuREALw_wcB.

It may be that the person reading your daughter's information had no knowledge of even the term, let alone associated symptoms with the condition. I don't know your daughter or what symptoms she experiences for the Dissociative Seizures, but I do know it's possible that they are potentially dangerous in water and in the area of cooking. Never assume the person reading it understands the condition. Go back, look at what you said and see if you missed out on things that should have been included as relating to the impact against the PIP criteria. If she needs help with something, say so (even if she's not getting it). If you didn't touch on the area of mental health and the impact, include it.

Hope this gives you some pointers about how to proceed. Firstly look at the PA4 report again and see what they said and look at the reasons why she was turned down and then start putting together your arguments. The Guide to PIP appeals will help you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 10 months ago #275561 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Epilepsy and PIP appeal
Dear Tina, you may also get some help from Epilepsy Action, the helpline is
tel: 08088005050
There's also this:
www.epilepsy.org.uk/living/benefits/pers...ent-pip-and-epilepsy
It may be you already know more than they have there, but something may jog your mind to add to BIS's knowledgeable reply.
And bear in mind that with many DWP and assessment contract staff, an invisible disability is no disability - so don't let the B's grind you down! :) My OH has had epilepsy for decades, I do know a bit how you feel. Remember to count as able to do, therefore NOT scoring points, your daughter has got to tick all of the '4 things' :
(a)safely;
(b)to an acceptable standard;
(c)repeatedly; and
(d)within a reasonable time period
If ringing for the PA4, and refused, just ring off and try again in a couple of minutes as you are entitled to it. In those couple of minutes hopefully the liar will be on another call and you'll get someone different.
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 year 10 months ago #275682 by Tina
Replied by Tina on topic Epilepsy and PIP appeal
Hi BIS
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm guessing you don't automatically get sent the PA4 report. Going to phone when the lines are open today and been advised to notify them of a change in circumstances but still go ahead with the appeal. The deadline is tomorrow so cutting it a bit fine. Would they except an extension as we didn't receive the decision until 2 weeks after the date on the mandatory reconsideration notice due to postal strikes? Or would this go against her?
Tina

More
1 year 10 months ago #275697 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Epilepsy and PIP appeal
Hi Tina

No you are not sent the PA4 automatically, you have to phone up and ask for a copy.

You can phone up to 48 hrs after the assessment and ask for a copy of the assessors report, do not let them fob you off by saying you have to wait for a decision before you can get a copy, this is not true for PIP assessments, it is true for WCA assessments.

You can apply for an out of time MR with good cause, delay in receiving the decision would be a good cause, you have up to 13 months max.

I find applying for a change of circumstances at the same time as appealing a decision can cause confusion. I saw a claimant a few months ago who had applied for a new claim as they were refused their claim not knowing they could appeal.

I got involved at the appeal stage, DWP sent a letter to HMCTS which states the claimant has applied for a new claim, this means that I now have to write to HMCTS pointing out why the claimant made a new claim even though there are no change in circumstances.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 1 week ago #284686 by Anxious Anonymous
Replied by Anxious Anonymous on topic Epilepsy and PIP appeal
Sorry to reply to an old thread but I feel it is relevance to my PIP form that I'm doing. My cardiologist wrote I have loss of consciousness and fits.

So if the fits are regular but the loss of consciousness is remote. For example, you mentioned only having two severe episodes of remote risk. Does this mean they have to take the severity of the harm into account?

But what if you can't document the harm?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid