× Members

Transfer from WTC self employed with disability element to UC

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284136 by Lic
Hi. I've received the terror leaflet advising me I'm going to be transferred from WTC to UC soon. At present I'm self employed with £0 profit and classed as disabled as a result of depression, anxiety and chronic migraine (classed as more than 15 days a month of migraine with headache and in my case usually many more than this). I work 30 - 32 hours a week. I qualify for the disability element of WTC and HB. I also have working memory and processing difficulties and dyscalculia but haven't had assessments for these, only screenings.

I saw someone at CAB the other day who told me that I would be transferred to ordinary UC without the disability element because I don't receive PIP, and that I wouldn't have any choice in this. Is this correct? Do I not have any voice in this?

I have been really struggling with my business this year, which is a handmade business selling online, so the thought of being bullied by the DWP on top of everything else is terrifying.

Apart from the implications in terms of how I will be treated, it also means at least an approximately £10 reduction per week in income at a time when my rent has increased by £10 a week over the local housing allowance.

Because migraine impacts me daily in many ways and can affect my speech, understanding, vision, ability to voice what I am thinking, to think clearly, to look at screens, to bear light, noise, smells, wind, heat, and all sorts of other things, I am unable to say how I will be from one day to the next or even within one day, so I manage my symptoms best at home. I applied for PIP in 2015 but it was declined and I didn't appeal because at the time I was too stressed with other things, despite my Welfare Rights adviser saying he thought I should get it and should appeal. I was told I should apply again for PIP by the CAB and need to get on with this but will need to do it when my brain cell is functioning better than it is today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284184 by Gary
Hi Lic

The person at CA is incorrect, getting PIP does not qualify you for LCWRA, if you were in receipt of ESA support then you would qualify.

To qualify for the disable element of WTC, you have to be working 16 hrs a week, you have to meet two other tests, one relating to your disability and one to your receipt of a qualifying benefit.

The question I would ask you is, what type of benefit did you receive you claimed WTC?

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284255 by Lic
I was on ESA when I claimed, I think it was. I was diagnosed with cancer yesterday too.

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #284261 by Chris
Hi Lic,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - you must be feeling like you were the devil in a previous life with everything that is being thrown at you ?

I think life can be so cruel at times, because whatever bad news we receive, our first thoughts as a human always tend to be negative - but remember how far technology has come, and that you've always people to support you - whether that's at home, or even just behind a screen.

I'm sure Gary will be in touch about the ESA part when he's next online to help answer your question. I wish I could help answer it for you, but unfortunately, I'm still in my "newbie" stage, and there's so much more I don't know, rather than what I do. :)

You take care,

Kind regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 5 days ago #284831 by Lic
Thank you very much, Chris, for your kind words and support. I've been very lucky in many respects, so counting my blessings, but discombobulated to say the least! It's the busiest time of year for my business when I need to be making as much money as I can but that won't be happening. I thought maybe I could do gift vouchers but it's not possible with my website provider so that's a no-goer. Such is life. Life is far worse elsewhere in the world and at least I'm not being bombed, starved, and deliberately dehydrated.
Take care and best wishes, Fliss
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
11 months 5 days ago #284833 by Chris
Hi Fliss,

That's a very nice, un-common name - very exotic type sound to it.
Sorry to hear about your business - It may not be of much help but have you thought about doing things that can give you a little financial boost such as changing your bank account? (You can get switches worth £175 to £200) advertised on MSE atm. There's also other things you can do like change energy providers for a better tariff, broadband, and TV. I haggle mine every year, and always threaten to leave if I don't get some sort of discount, and mention that I know lots of friends and family who are with them, that I could also get to leave, and 9 times out of 10, they usually help. Sometimes lowering your outgoings can be a great way of giving you a payrise. You could also shop online and take advantage of new customer offers, like cashback and money off for example.

Hope this information helps, but any further questions, if you have any - I may be able to point you in the right place.

Kind regards, Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid