× Members

Just Migrated to UC and 2k worse off

More
11 months 1 week ago #284738 by Maggie96
Just Migrated to UC and 2k worse off was created by Maggie96
I have recently had to migrate over from WTC to UC and after reading various documentation, thought I wouldn’t be worse off because of the transitional payment for disability.

In Aug I received my last payment of £288 for disability WTC and I now receive zero UC. I work 30 hours from home on minimum wage, and was hoping to reduce my working hours.

What I don’t understand is that in 2022/23 I earned £14800 and received £288 pm tax credits. I have received the minimum wage increase which gives me an extra £1455 pa in wages but now receive no UC so now over £2000 worse off than tax credits. I don’t qualify for the extra £300 now and lose help with dental care, but need extra heating at home because of my health condition. My energy costs were £3000 last year alone. £150 help for disabled towards this is no use whatsoever.

Is the UC zero payment correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284753 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Just Migrated to UC and 2k worse off
Hi Maggie96,

It can drop to 0 sometimes based on your earnings, as that happened to me a couple of months last year when I was working, but I kept my claim open because I knew that the job was coming to an end unfortunately. I would ask your work coach if you have one? as I've been told only UC, and LCW groups get a workcoach and LCWRA groups lose there's which I only found out last month on here.
It does seem strange however that you'd be worse off, because I was always better. I'm sure its something like 63p in the £1 you lose UC if you're working.

I can't think of anything else to say other than, it makes no sense at all that you should be worse off working - there's no incentive whatsoever if this is the case.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie96

More
11 months 1 week ago #284767 by dancer22
Replied by dancer22 on topic Just Migrated to UC and 2k worse off
If you only get the disability element of WTC then you may well end up worse off on UC. However if it was a managed migration then most people will get a transitional top-up payment. Sounds like you need to get some proper advice to check the award.
Chris - the rate is 55p in the pound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
11 months 1 week ago #284772 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Just Migrated to UC and 2k worse off
Cheers dancer22.

Couldn't remember off the top of my head how much it was, after they changed it so that people would benefit.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 6 days ago #284784 by Maggie96
Replied by Maggie96 on topic Just Migrated to UC and 2k worse off
Thank you. Yes it was a letter for migration. I will contact citizens advice.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.