× Members

PIP Process advice on MR Please - hearing loss/tinnitus

More
11 months 2 days ago #284855 by Shirl45
Hi, I am new to the Forum so apologise if this is an old topic. I could really use some experienced advice as I wish to complete an MR asap. I have moderate to severe hearing loss since 2017 (severe at higher frequencies). I wear two hearing aids capable of white noise generation due to persistent and permanent tinnitus which manifests as a constant high pitched whine that alters in volume and disturbs sleep/reading etc. I recently applied for PIP and after a F2F was awarded 4 points as follows for the descriptors relevant to me:-
Preparing Food - 0 points (DWP suggested I got a new cooker/oven - I use visual alarms and aids when cooking/assistance from my partner)
Washing and bathing - 2 points (use of flashing smoke alarm - I also use this in the kitchen for safety with cooking)
Communicating verbally - 2 points (use of hearing aids)
Engaging with other people - 0 points - DWP said as I used to teach they said I can engage with other people (this was 7 years ago before hearing aids fitted. Retired early due to hearing problems in the classroom)
Making budgeting decisions - 0 points (DWP said I can use banking apps rather than the telephone which I struggle with)
Mobility - 0 points - DWP said I can use Satnav and goggle maps to help when travelling - I never use public transport alone.

Any help or advice or templates/links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 day ago #284870 by BIS
Hi Shirl45

Welcome to the forum. Never apologise for asking a question. You can find how to navigate the site here benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq

Did you get a copy of your assessment report? It's called a PA4. You can ring the DWP and ask for it, if you don't already have it. It's useful to get more details about what you were awarded. Remember the assessor is just giving their opinion. Don't waste any time on anything that won't gain you extra points (eg spelling errors in the report)

You have one month from the date on the decision letter to put in for your Mandatory Reconsideration.

The person who assessed you clearly has no idea what it's like to have any sort of hearing loss. If you haven't already - have a look at our Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews and check to see whether you included all the information you could have done. benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

The idea you should buy a new cooker is ridiculous or that because you were once, a teacher is proof that you have no troubles with communication now. I'm afraid some assessors are notorious for making such pronouncements. I hate to say - you might get used to it!

Preparing Food: - Did you emphasise the safety issues of not being able to hear what is going on in the kitchen while you're cooking? Clearly, you should have been awarded points for the necessary alarms. If you never cook alone - then say so and emphasise why. Tell them what happens if you don't see the alarm. Tell them about the dangers of being unable to hear a smoke alarm. (Never assume that the person reading it has any experience or understanding of what it's like to have your medical condition!) If you haven't already, you need to explain the effects of permanent tinnitus - the tiredness and depression which make you less safe in a kitchen. You should be able to score more highly here.

Washing and bathing - points as expected.

Communicating - points as expected

Mixing with Other People - Their argument is nonsense - have a look at the guide to see if there's anything else you need to say. You need to say the assessor is "mistaken" or has "misunderstood."

Budgeting - have a look at the guide - because I suspect you didn't make the link strong enough between your condition and how that affects being able to bank effectively.

Mobility - look at the guide again. Emphasise that you are limited in your ability to travel - they are supposed to look at the whole picture - not just whether you travel by car. You need to explain how disorientating it is to have a high-pitched noise and other noise in your hearing aids when you are out. That is frightening, and that's why you wouldn't use public transport alone. I think if you look at what the guide says about reliability and safety, you will find you have more to say.

Do also have a look to the Guide to PIP Appeals, which has all the information on putting in for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

Come back if you have any other questions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 1 day ago #284883 by Shirl45
Thank you for your quick response. Working on my MR at present. Thank you for your ideas. I will use them to make my submission.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid