× Members

NEW pip claim, assessment booked with IAS. Adult nurse??

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285057 by Ember.beanie
Hello! I have a telephone assessment booked with IAS on the 20th November. My difficulties are severe dyselxia, chronic back pain, anxiety and depression. I have submitted to the dwp my prescription list, my dyslexia report, a full statement of my difficulties and how they affect me day to day according to the descriptors, also statements from my partner and mum who help me and also a 2 day diary,I'm also waiting for a MRI of my brain and back ( brain one before assessment and backMRI the day after assessment) i'm also accepted for help by the occupation therapist but waiting a home assessment. I also have a musculoskeletal physiotherapist but ive only seen her once when she refereed me for the spinal MRI. Anyway, reading some post here I called this morning to say that I will be recording the assessment which they said was problem.

I then asked who would be conducting the assessment as she advised it would be an adult nurse called Melina. To be honest I'm rather worried ifshe will understand my difficulties? Am I worrying too much? Its so important I am awarded to get the care I need.. I'm worriedshe won't understand and I've read so many horror stories about assessors lying.

Thankyou x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #285074 by BIS
Hi Ember.beanie

I wish I could reassure you and say that the assessor will understand your difficulties, but I can't. The DWP say that all assessors are qualified to carry out the assessments, but that's not the same as them understanding an individual's difficulties.

At the end of the day, there is always an element of luck, and that usually comes down to the assessor that you have. There are plenty of horror stories about awful assessors, but there are also some very good and compassionate ones who carry out their work diligently - we just don't hear as much about them.

All you can do is prepare for the assessment as well as you can. You've done the first bit in filling in the form and providing them with as much information as you can. Now the second part is to make sure that you are as prepared as you can be for the assessment. If you look at the Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews - you can look at the type of questions you may be asked.

I hope it goes well for you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by BIS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.