× Members

Caring for others

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285083 by JayneRos
Caring for others was created by JayneRos
I am claiming pip for myself. I am also the main and only carer for my disabled daughter. Do i mention her in my form ie I only drive because my daughter relies on me to get to her medical appointments, I have to motivate myself to take my medication as I need to be around for her. Or will they think if I can look after my daughter I don't need any help with anything? I have read advice on driving so thank you for that. Jayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285098 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Caring for others
Hi JayneRos

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

I am not sure what you are asking, I would use your previous application form as a template when completing a renewal form. Did you mention your daughter when you completed your last application form?

When applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level. Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

Our guide to PIP claims and reviews goes through each question highlighting important issues that you need to consider in your answers and giving some sample answers; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285101 by JayneRos
Replied by JayneRos on topic Caring for others
Thank you, this is not a renewal, it's a first time claim for myself. My daughter has her own pip claim, she has had this for 3 years. My question is should I explain on my form that a lot of things I have to do because my daughter relies on me or shall I not mention my caring responsibilities as it may be seen negatively on my claim?
Thank you,
Jayne

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285120 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Caring for others
Hi JayneRos

If you are trying to claim PIP for yourself -you need to be writing about your difficulties (and not your daughter's).

When you have an assessment - one of the things you will be asked is do you claim any other benefits. (They know the answer before they ask the question). If you claim carers allowance, one of the things they will ask is whether you are still able to fulfil your duties of '35 hours a week'. For many carers, it is many more hours than 35 a week, but I need to warn you that some people have lost their carers allowance when they have been awarded PIP as the DWP has deemed they can't do both. Now, there are still claimants who have been awarded PIP and carers allowance - so I am not trying to frighten you - I want you to be aware. One person I supported in getting their PIP and carers allowance - we said the caring was psychological support that their spouse needed - not physical duties, which they were unable to do because of their own disabilities. The DWP accepted this.

I don't think you should hide that you're a carer - but I would keep that aspect to a minimum, and the emphasis has to be on you and the difficulties you have against the specific PIP criteria.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Sheila 966

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285153 by JayneRos
Replied by JayneRos on topic Caring for others
Thank you very much for your advise. Much appreciated

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.