× Members

Contributory Employment Support Allowance + Ill Health Pension

More
10 months 1 week ago #285631 by Alan
Hi All,

After three years in waiting I have gained tier 1 ill Health Pension (NHS). When I worked out how other Benefits I was on (Non means tested) the answers I gleamed all said "No Contributory ESA is not impacted by a pension awarded for ill Health"

I had closed my claim for UC as I would no longer qualify for anything due to my pension £637 p/m and my wife's P/T salary £934 p/m. However, I neglected to inform ESA. I then received a letter from ESA that my Contributory ESA would be reduced from £259 b/w to £99.87 b/w. I have been on the phone as much as possible to ESA (6 hours over last 2 days) not sure if I am being "punished" for not informing them or, that my pension has triggered a threshold amount.

I also receive PIP enhanced DLA + Mobility. I'm also in receipt of IIDB @ 60%. My wife is also on PIP enhanced DLA and she can only work limited hours due to health issues.

I am seeking advice on what the rules for Contributory ESA are. If the deductions from ESA are due to my pension then I will need to adjust to the reduction of income.

Many thanks!
Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285643 by Gary
Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

If you received an occupational or personal pension that pays more than £85 a week then your contributory ESA payment is reduced by half of the amount over this limit. For example, if you receive £105 a week before tax from a personal pension , your ESA is reduced by £10, ie half of the excess figure of £20. If you receive more than one pension then they are added together for the calculation.

Health Insurance payments are usually treated in the same way as pensions unless the claimant has paid more than 50% of the premium.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.