× Members

ESA income related. Inheritance ,,Benefits,ESA 3 forms

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #286689 by Finora1
Hi I,m so confused with the. Benefits system.
I have been on ESA support group for years it’s income related and PIP
My 2 youngest children who where 14+ 15 at the time lost their father and inherited a property (Now only valued at £35,000) No Income from the property as it’s now unhabitable . He never left a Will because his other long lost son refused to take it in . Unbeknown to me. It’s very complicated. Sorry
It has taken 6 yrs to bring the estate to a close. We have had to pay £4000 to another adult child after all estate bills were paid .
My son became poorly and just couldn’t cope anymore and wanted out and so because there was only me to deal with everything and lending them £5000 They put his share in my name for now till our situation changed . So My daughter and myself are on the Deeds.
Having spoken with Council Tax people they told me I had to contact ESA . Online says
1. I will lose all my benefits,ESA Housing benefits,council tax .Prescriptions etc .
2 The other says I will lose around £75 a week from ESA .
The property is no longer habitable after 6 yrs of being left empty and in an other town. We have no financial help from his own adult child who was claiming his estate too.
My daughter and I have lived in Social Housing for 21 yrs in same house we are in now. If I lose my benefits then we could not pay the rent or any bills. My daughter has finished her apprenticeship and now employed and earning a proper wage. Even so we could not manage and I am frightened that it will make us homeless. I have fought for this because I wanted my children to have some security from their late father just as he wanted .
I rang ESA and he said take the deeds in to JobCentrePlus and fill in ESA 3 form. So I,m no more knowledgeable than I was before I spoke to him .
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286731 by Gordon
F

I'm afraid your situation is too complicated for us to deal with on the forum so I strongly recommend that you get local advice.

advicelocal.uk/

Your share of the equity in the house, even if it is uninhabitable, is likely to count against your ESA(IR), depending on the amount this could remove entitlement but you need a trained advisor to look at the information available, which will likely include the settlement documents which is one of the reasons we can't help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 months 1 week ago #286754 by Finora1
Thank you for your reply Gordon. It’s appreciated
F

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.