× Members

Can I request a paper assessment instead?

More
2 months 1 week ago #288056 by Starw0n
Hi Wise People

My telephone PIP assessment was meant to be today but didn't happen. I didn't get a call or text to explain why. When I phoned up there were no notes on the system either. This is my second attempt at an assessment. The first one was cancelled at the last minute as the HP was considerably delayed.

I've rescheduled the assessment but I'm now wondering if it's

a) possible to get assessed by other means (such as a paper assessment)
b) if doing so will disadvantage my case.

I've had my medical conditions for decades. My conditions are either unchanged (or worse) and all can be backed up by solid evidence.

The telephone appointment system seems to be floundering. Trying to have an afternoon appointment seems to be particularly hard as by that point all their morning appointments are overrunning. I therefore have a feeling this will happen again and would prefer to avoid the stress of it if at all possible.

Thank you for your help :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288058 by BIS
Hi StarwOn

You can ask them to do a paper-based assessment - though I suspect, as you didn't mention it earlier - they will probably refuse. Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, and I would argue that having had an assessment cancelled twice through no fault of your own, the increased stress is having a detrimental effect on your mental health.

Is there a disadvantage to having a paper-based assessment? There can be. If the assessor doesn't have the chance to talk to a claimant - they may make assumptions from the information in front of them, which are incorrect. Having said that - many people would welcome a paper-based assumption.

If you think you have given them sufficient information to make a decision - make your request.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, VIA, Starw0n

More
2 months 1 week ago #288073 by den1mon
Replied by den1mon on topic Can I request a paper assessment instead?
Personally If this were me I would enlist the assistance of my MP because this is just not good enough claimants being treated like this.
I have had the support of my MP twice due to incompetence by dwp and so called 'health care assessment services'.
I recently had a telephone assessment for esa and to be honest it was fair and very thorough.
I was able to give detailed responses to the questions asked of me.
I did request a paper based assessment which obviously they didn't grant but with hind sight I am glad it was a telephone assessment and I remained in the cb support group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA, Starw0n

More
2 months 6 days ago #288107 by Starw0n
Replied by Starw0n on topic Can I request a paper assessment instead?
Update for B&W forum readers [further advice not needed :-) ]

I have requested a paper assessment. This was refused. This wasn't because they didn't agree there was an issue on their part but because I had already agreed to rescheduling the missed appointment and thus ruled out alternatives. Rescheduling the appointment was done as a matter of course when I enquired about the HP's no-show and no further advice was offered. I was advised today that if the next appointment fails to go ahead I can request a paper assessment and my case becomes 'dismissed' from the contractors system. My advice is if this happens to you don't be talked into rescheduling the appointment and what alternatives are available, like a paper assessment.

My current case is a review rather than a new claim. The form I filled out was structured differently to a new claim and consisted mostly of questions saying 'Tell us if something has changed'. It appears that answering the review form with shorter answers which referred to my earlier forms and just saying that my condition is unchanged (whilst expanding on what's worse) seems to have counted against me.

It appears my earlier claim forms and medical reports haven't been read which is why a telephone assessment was requested on the grounds of there not being enough information. The person I spoke to today at the Independent Assessment Serivces initially said they don't have access to my old data. When pushed she said they had all the documents in the cloud but couldn't confirm they had been read.

If B&W members are completing such review forms and their conditions are unchanged I'd advise them to still detail what means. Say things like 'My condition is unchanged since my last form in 20XX (year). This means I still have X issue and Y issue daily.....' Reiterate the content of your earlier form.

All the best
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, ivyfox, VIA, May, Blueberry Owl

More
2 months 6 days ago #288113 by BIS
Hi Starw0n

Thanks for giving us an update. Interesting what you were told specifically about the rescheduling issue.

One of the things that you were told, which is not entirely accurate - is that they can't see whether a document has been read. I know from dealing with a case - that they can tell what documents have been opened and how many pages have been looked at. Of course, they still might not have actually read anything, but it was useful to know when the DWP was trying to base a result without having looked at key information. As soon as it was pointed out to them, the decision was reversed in the claimant's favour - so it's always worth pushing them on what has actually been looked at if the need arises.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith, VIA, Starw0n

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288685 by Starw0n
Replied by Starw0n on topic Can I request a paper assessment instead?
UPDATE: Paper assessment has been requested after 3rd failed telephone assessment.

I'm updating this for anyone interested in how to potentially get a paper assessment for their PIP review.

I had my third attempted telephone appointment today. For the third time, the health professional was a no show. Not only were they a no show, there were no notes on the system to explain the delay. I've also had issues with other appointments due to scheduling issues so this is technically my 4th or 5th failed appointment.

I explained I was told after the failed 2nd assessment I could request a paper assessment should it happen again. When I requested a paper assessment today I was initially told this wouldn't be possible because the evidence I had provided was over a year old. I explained that the reason why my evidence was over a year old was because I had been waiting for an assessment for over a year and the longer this process goes on the older my evidence will get. I explained that I could submit fresh medical evidence if needed. I was asked for details of my medical team (consultants, care workers, physiotherapists etc), their names, job titles, contact details etc.and was told when a health professional is assigned to my case they will contact my medical team for confirmation of my condition. I added that whilst my medical team can confirm my diagnoses and symptoms they couldn't confirm how my condition would affect every aspect of my daily life. For that a health professional would need to look at my review forms past and present which covers my daily situation in detail.

I was then asked if I wanted to make a formal complaint. I asked the procedure and was told I could fill in a 'complaints pack' that would be sent out to me (which seems like it could take weeks). Alternatively I could dictate a complaint over the phone during the call. Reasoning it would be useful to have a formal complaint on file sooner rather than later when my case is considered for a paper assessment and when my award is considered, I decided to make a complaint on the phone. I was asked to detail what had happened and how that affected me. I explained that repeated missed appointments did have a detrimental impact on my health and I was now concerned that my case wouldn't be assessed before my existing award expired. I was asked what positive outcome I would like from the complaint and I said a paper assessment that properly takes into account my evidence and severity of my conditions. I added that I would contact my MP if I didn't feel I'd had an appropriate resolution but hoped it wouldn't get to that stage. This prompted a notable audible in-take of breath from the representative. I have wondered if the call representatives are coached to appear to be sympathetic or are genuinely sympathetic. Historically DWP, DLA and PIP staff were never understanding let alone sympathetic, but in the last 2 phone calls I've never had someone say 'Oh bless you' so much in my life. Considering the frequency it was said, I have to admit it felt a little disconcerting at times.

Apparently someone from the complaints team will call me within 48 hours. I've specified the times that I will be available and asked for either the call to be recorded and the recording to be made available to me or for details of that call to be put in writing. As the call will be unplanned I won't necessarily be able to take notes. I have recorded all PIP calls up to now.

I hope that helps anyone in a similar situation.

Best wishes
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivyfox, Sheila 966, VIA, May, Blueberry Owl

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.