× Members

A gift of cash - not sure whether we can take it?

More
2 months 5 days ago #288164 by KABTT
Hi, my partner (pensioner 66yo) has been offered some money via his elderly mum (94yo). She wants to give him 10,000 - it's a kind gesture and it'd go into his bank account via cheque. But as welcome as it would be I'm wondering about the new gov/DWP proposal of "snooping" on the bank accounts of pensioners? I read we can have up to 6,000 ? my partner is part of my UC claim even though he has no work search requirements ( said he cares for me and his mum - which he does without any allowances or cash payments) but he's on my UC account too.

Not sure what way to go, never thought the gov snooping would affect us - I don't get gifted any cash so wasn't worried but now my mother in law has offered this I'm not sure what to do. The money wouldn't be going into my account and I'm the one on UC - I'm 3 years off SP age.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 5 days ago #288174 by Gordon
K

Your claim is a joint one for the purposes of UC, this means your partner's income, I assume the State Pension, their savings and assets are part of the assessment as to how much UC you should receive.

For savings and assets, there is a joint limit of £6000 above which there will be a Tariff Income deduction of £4.35/month for every £250 in excess of the limit.

In simple terms, if you had savings of £10,000 then there would be a £69.60/month deduction (£10,000 - £6000 = £4000 / £250 = 16 * £4.35 = £69.60).

There is a second limit of £16,000 above which entitlement to UC ceases.

If your joint savings and assets exceed £6,000 then you must inform the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
2 months 4 days ago #288190 by KABTT
I see what you mean, he's now told his mum he can't accept it - he and his brother will keep the cash in her account until she passes - they were not keen on accepting the cash cos she's got cognitive decline so they'd feel bad taking this. Luckily we are not at the point where they are organising her funeral. They'll get together then as both are in charge of her will and small flat.

Thanks for showing me how the DWP would've worked it out. I knew we'd be worse off accepting any cheque on the UC account.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.