× Members

Working hours on UC with child has cystic fibrosis

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288406 by Roch82
Good even all.

I'm looking for some information for a friend and her partner

They have a 2 yr old with cystic fibrosis and he has to have various treatments at home to help stop the mucus build up around every 3 hours, if you know about this awful disease you know the drill bless him.

He has breathing problems all the time and his lungs are already scarred and he can't go near water or dirt bless him, he's on antibiotics constantly and catches everything

Her partner gets carers allowance for him and she's a self employed hairdresser, she has recently had to lower her days to 3 days a week as she is just exhausted as it's round the clock care and obviously she's his mum and has equal care for him when she's at home.

UC have told her she needs to up her hours or get a second job but she just wouldn't be able to cope, although her partner is his carer, she still is his mum and has equal care for him, she has sleepless nights with having to do chest physical therapy on her son for the mucus in the night.

Tbh I wonder how she hasn't had a breakdown and can even work at all.

Is there anyway round not having to work more hours without it affecting her UC.

I hope that explains it good enough.

Thank you x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288453 by Gary
Hi Roch82

The problem your friend has is that her partner receives carers allowance and therefore when they applied for UC and signed the claimant commitment, the partner would be exempt from looking for work as they are the carer.

I would advise your friend to seek help from their local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk .

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288476 by Roch82
Thank you for taking time to reply to my question :-)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.