× Members

Official appointee visit

More
1 month 1 week ago #289126 by Anji
Official appointee visit was created by Anji
Well, today my son and I had the visit re me becoming his official appointee.

There were several positives about the visit. The lady who came to his room was absolutely lovely. She was very understanding and empathetic. She spoke to my son about the difficulties he’d had writing and phoning re the PIP claim. She was very balanced and measured and put him at ease.

She went on to explain that if I became his appointee I wouldn’t just communicate with the DWP on his behalf I’d effectively become the recipient of his benefits and they would be paid to me to distribute back to him. We all agreed that for my son this would not be appropriate. He does need help budgeting but his finances are simple- everything on direct debit, all bills included in the rent, and because he doesn’t really go out, doesn’t smoke or drink, he can usually manage within budget.

Anyway, she then went on to explain that there is a vulnerable person team in the DWP and they can decide that I am allowed to talk to them on his behalf and take over the stuff that sends his anxiety spiralling. But without the complete and total takeover of becoming an appointee. She said she’d get them to contact us and was confident they’d sort it out for us..

I’m not sure why no one ever mentioned this team before, especially when I was begging them to talk to me when his anxiety was rocketing and why we weren’t referred to them then. But hopefully this will give us the halfway house we need.

Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #289135 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Official appointee visit
Hi Anji,

This team is also a new one on me - I think sometimes you have people on the phones at the DWP, who deal with that many calls, that they probably just don't care enough at times to feel as if they can help people any further - despite being paid too. I recently experienced this during a call when I was trying to explain that someone at my local council incorrectly worked out my Ctax/HBen amount and incorrectly charged me more Ctax - it was something to do with my tariff income, they added it instead of subtracting it, and when I spoke to this lad at the DWP, he kept finishing my sentences, cutting me off, and I couldn't get a word in edgeways - then when I reported my actual bank balance, he didn't even bother to update it on the system, meaning that my UC was underpaid again for another month because they had me down as an extra 2 grand over in savings, which I had to use to keep paying for bills, and food because UC just isn't enough to live on. Some of them, it beggars belief how they're actually in work, the attitude they have.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Chris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo, Anji

More
1 month 1 week ago #289234 by Anji
Replied by Anji on topic Official appointee visit
She did actually mention two different teams that could help, but I have forgotten the first one as when the conversation moved on she clearly felt the 'vulnerable' person team were the right people. She was very confident that they would agree to allow me to take over dealing with them as the first port of call, which would be brilliant as my son gets very anxious about it.

Neither of us has heard anything yet, but it has only been a couple of working days so far.

On another note, I am soooooo kicking myself that I didn't take a picture of my son's room when I arrived as it was 3 feet deep in rubbish 😂 The assessor for PIP (assessment was over the phone) said he could do housework and didn't lack motivation... not sure where she got that from, but hey.
Three hours later, Mum had the room spick and span (son did help, with one step at a time instructions he got the bed changed and put the bed clothes in the washing machine). But I missed an opportunity to provide evidence of his inability to do this without significant prompting if we need to go to a tribunal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Wendy Woo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.