× Members

Small pension lump sum effect on means tested beenfits

More
1 month 3 days ago #289422 by mikmikmik
Hi, I claim esa ( contributory topped up with means tested). I closed a small pension with about £800 in, and paid about £160 in tax. My savings are about £4000. Am I right in thinking this will be treated as capital and I will still be below the £6000 limit, and it won’t effect any benefits?
Also as I’m not working and have income below the tax threshold, I went on hmrc website to get the tax refunded. But it said I should get this refunded by dwp, is this right? Do I need to write in with all this, or is it ok as I’m still below £6k savings? Many thanks for any pointers….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #289488 by Gary
Hi mikmikmik

Yes you are correct, as your savings are below £6k you will not be affected.

I am not sure about your tax question, the information may be correct, usually you can get a tax rebate at the end of the tax year.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.