× Members

Extending length of PIP award

More
1 month 1 week ago #289689 by Lipbalmaddict
Extending length of PIP award was created by Lipbalmaddict
I haven’t been able to find anything on this subject so I apologise if it’s already been asked. I was awarded enhanced mobility and daily living 12 months ago but this is due to be reassessed in March 2025. The award is much shorter than previous ones. In the last 12 months my health has deteriorated to the extent that I was hospitalised in January as had planned my suicide in great detail. They let me go home under the home treatment team and community mental health team. In February I began ECT, such is the severity of my decline. It unfortunately triggered mania after 9 sessions and so it, and my mental health drugs have been stopped. There is no plan going forwards, nobody knows what to do. I was wondering if this change in circumstances may cause the DWP to extend my award so I don’t have to go through an assessment, or worry about it at a time when my health is so unstable. I appreciate its 12 months away, but based on everything that has been said, the instability is a big problem, I am treatment resistance and this is unlikely to improve in the foreseeable future. I’m still under the home treatment team as an alternative to hospitalisation - I see someone at least 5 days a week between HTT and CMHT. I’m already getting anxious about the review as I’m not coping with life, and things have really deteriorated since the review was done. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #289707 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Extending length of PIP award
Hi Lipbalmaddict

I'm sorry to hear that life is so incredibly difficult for you.

Awards in general have become shorter in length - so like you a lot of people have found that at their last review the length of time was much shorter than they were expecting.

You already have an enhanced award (albeit a short one). If you contact the DWP - about the deterioration in your condition - for a change of circumstances - they will either ignore it - because your award cannot be increased, or they will trigger a review now. You may have to go through the process again much more quickly.

The fact that your mental health is unstable is likely to be the justification for them giving you a short award - in that they don't know what state your health will be in, in a year's time.

You could ask someone for CMHT to contact the DWP, but they are unlikely just to extend your award, especially when it is not yet up.

You could wait until the review form arrives, and then, if you have the support of your CMHT, get them to write on your behalf, giving them an update on your mental health, asking them to do a paper-based assessment, and asking for a longer award

Obviously, you are worried about the here and now—and there's nothing to stop you from asking—but be warned: What I said earlier stands, and you may just trigger an earlier review.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lipbalmaddict

More
1 month 1 week ago #289761 by Lipbalmaddict
Replied by Lipbalmaddict on topic Extending length of PIP award
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your response. Yes, I guess I’d be inviting an opportunity to make things worse before they need to be. I certainly couldn’t handle a review at the moment, that’s for sure. Thanks again.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.