× Members

Do DVLA contact DWP when l apply for provisional license for son HRM pip?

More
1 month 1 week ago #291305 by LondonLady
My son gets HRM pip.

He is almost 17 and really keen to learn to drive, but I have read that the DVLA will notify DWP if we apply for the provisional licence?

I am worried this could impact his PIP?

My son has autism, adhd and arthritis. I don’t believe these will affect his ability to drive in terms of making him unsafe, just that he will need a lot more support and help with the whole learning process, so he is able to pass his test .

Now I have been reading that the DVLA will be approaching DWP, and they will ask me to fill out a form giving my sons doctors details etc, my concern is this will be done to lower his PIP.

Am I worrying for no reason? Is there a link with both departments, does learning to drive go against my son. It seems so unfair if it does

Any tips are very welcome, for instance do I have to delicate his disabilities? As I had read I only need to if they will impact on him driving safely, which they do not .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #291334 by Gordon
LL

PIP does not consider the claimant's ability to drive so there should be no impact if the DVLA contact the DWP.

As a disabled person, the DVLA will want confirmation that your son is actually capable of driving and his conditions will not interfere in his ability to do so. The DVLA will want to contact his GP, the DWP has the contact information for this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 1 week ago #291337 by Gary
Hi LondonLady

I cannot see why applying for a provisional driving licence will harm your sons PIP claim.

LL26 did a very good post a little while ago about PIP and driving, which we have saved and locked to the start of the forum; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/kunena/10-dla-...8543-pip-and-driving.

I would recommend having a discussion with your son's doctor.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 1 week ago #291355 by LondonLady
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is from what I have read up , I don’t need to declare his conditions when applying for the license, because l read I only need to if they affect his ability to drive safely ?

It’s confusing as I think they ask you about any conditions, but at the time time it says I don’t need to declare then? Obviously I don’t want to do the wrong thing here, just don’t want to open up a whole load of grief and have my sons award revisited

More
1 month 1 week ago #291394 by BIS
Hi LondonLady

Currently, I would try to separate the issues of his PIP award from applying for a provisional licence. You don't have to declare his medical condition unless you think it is likely to affect his driving. www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving...condition-a-to-z—The government advice suggests people talk to their GPs.

Applying for a provisional licence will not suddenly cause a review for his PIP. Will his ability to drive affect his PIP in the future? It shouldn't - but in reality, it sometimes does - but you obviously wouldn't want your son to miss out on the chance to drive on what might or might not happen with PIP. If the topic comes up in future reviews, look at our guidance on dealing with that. The guidance for assessors is clear that they cannot penalise people for driving.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.