× Members

Comments on doctor's letter

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #291468 by Alison
Comments on doctor's letter was created by Alison
Hi

I've just got my letter from the doctor to support my ESA claim. On the whole, it's ok. I feel more comfortable with the mental categories and she's put info in to support difficulties with getting things done, coping with change, etc.

I highlighted mobilizing and sitting and standing too. I have CFS but I'm not bedbound. I go out and do things but am severely restricted in what and how much I can do. I've explained all this on the ESA50 but I'm uncomfortable with what the doctor has said about these descriptors. This is what she said:

"Alison tells me that she cannot mobilize more than 50 metres on ground level without having to stop due to discomfort/exhaustion. She tells me that she can need assistance from another person to move from one seated position to another."

She's obviously trying to help but it doesn't really say much. I know these questions are very complex but, on the face of it, this feels misleading and I'm worried that it sounds like I'm trying to make out I'm worse than I am.

I'm thinking of writing a note with it to give some context and try to explain why she might have said this. Is this a good idea, do you think?

Actually, I've just had a thought ... it would probably be easy enough for them to delete this paragraph if I ask them. I think I'd rather she say nothing than what she has said, without qualification.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Alison

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #291482 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Comments on doctor's letter
Hello Alison,

Whilst clearly it would have been best if the doctor had written the mobility without the implied caveat I personally think what she has written is better than silence.

As I understand what she has written it is that you have told her these things, she has no reason to doubt it it, but neither does she have evidence that it is so.

Whilst you could write an explanatory note, what would be better would be if you have a friend or relative who has witnessed you having these difficulties could also write a supporting letter.

Just my thoughts,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alison

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.