× Members

PIP for Chronic Pain, Spinal Spondylosis, Musculoskeletal Osteoarthritis Fibromy

More
1 month 5 days ago #291581 by jjHope
Hi everyone. I am new to this so hope it's okay to ask a couple of questions.

I am 53 and have longstanding chronic pain which started following a riding accident just over 30 years ago in which I severely damaged my coccyx and lower back.

Fast forward many years and ANA flag in bloods caused my GP concern and she referred me urgently for a rheumatologist appointment as she suspected possible rheumatoid arthritis. Further tests ruled this out but I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am also diagnosed with chronic Neuropathy due to spinal injury.

I am on intensive pain management programme and take modified release Tapentadol along with Cymbala/duloxetine, amitriptyline and am currently tapering down from 800mgs Pregabalin daily, currently I am on 50mgs twice a day.

I am registered as disabled with my local Council and have a Blue Badge due to my mobility.

I have horrific brain fog and very poor cognitive thinking due to the pain and fibromyalgia.

I am unable to walk more than 50 feet unaided.

My partner is my carer. He cooks and cleans and has to wash and dry my hair due to the pain. He has to get me dressed and undressed due to the pain caused..

I have been asked time and time again to apply for PIP but have been put off by horror stories.

I bit the bullet and end of February I rang and registered my claim with DWP for PIP.

I was told the form would be sent to me but this would take up to 12 weeks. To print off a form? Is this right?

I tried to ring them 3 times last week. Tried both options - new claims and existing claims but after many minutes on hold, the call kept dropping out.

They have no email address.

I wanted some honest advice please.

My pain is amplified when I am under stress. Fibromyalgia flares and the low back spasms and sciatica are impacted also.

Do you think I have a worthwhile claim? I'm seriously thinking if it takes this amount of time just to receive a form, I could be dead by the time I get assessed!

Any advice would be really helpful.

Much love,

J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago #291582 by Catherine
Hello J and welcome to the forum. And of course it is okay to ask questions!

First and most importantly, although we do not give personal advice here based on what you have put in your question I would not hesitate in suggesting that you apply for PIP.

I have not heard of the 12 week period being given at the start of a claim, but my best guess is that is how long it is likely to be before you get an assessment. The forms seem to be taking 2-3 weeks to arrive at the moment. But the good thing is that any award is eventually backdated to the day you made that first phone call, provided you return the form in time. (If you are not going to be able to do this, phone them up and ask for an extension.)

There are horror stories regarding claiming PIP, but they are not all horror, sometimes it goes really smoothly. Even if you are one of the unfortunate ones - fight on - most people get the right result in the end!

If you have not read our guide regarding applying for PIP I would urge you to do so now while you are waiting for your form. It is good 😊.

The other bit of advice I would give you at this stage is to sign up a PIP buddy. A friend or your partner who will support you through this process. Someone who will encourage you to keep going, check what you have written, be there for you when it feels tough and celebrate with you when you get the right answer.

Wishing you stamina and success,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Charlie, SeaSpirit

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #292317 by SeaSpirit
My history is not dissimilar to yours. I finally bit the bullet and applied for PIP in February.

I had quite a fraught telephone assessment and throughout the entire process have felt very stressed. However I’m pleased to say I received a text from the DWP this week saying they had awarded me PIP and a letter is in the post.

Please don’t let all the stress and strain of the process put you off. It is all a palaver which when you don’t feel well is something you can do without but you have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. It is a pain in the bottom but if you feel poorly enough to even consider putting yourself through the PIP hurdles then I’m sure you have more than a legitimate and justifiable reason to apply. Good luck and I wish you a successful outcome x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catherine

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.