× Members

PIP application with no mobility or personal care needs.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291769 by MissBee
Hi.
I applied for PIP in Nov 22 and had an assesstment at my local office. I have eczema, depression, chronic fatigue and OA in my hips and knees. I work full time, but my conditions cause additional expenses, which is what I thought PIP was for.
When I went for my assessment and received the response, I had scored zero and basically because I could make food for myself, administer my own medication and go to the toilet myself, my application was declined. I was really busy at the time and by the time I got round to the appeal, which my doctor encouraged, it had passed the deadline to do so.
Can anyone help, because I am applying again and I don't want to go through the whole application again to get declined, as it was quite an upsetting process.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291776 by BIS
Hi MissBee

I don't know whether you were a member of B&W when you last applied or if you used our guides to complete your application for PIP. We have a very comprehensive guide which will help you through the process. You can certainly apply for PIP even if you work, but you will be judged on how difficult you find the specific PIP criteria. Without a doubt - the moment you say that you work, an assessor will make assumptions about your abilities unless you explain in detail the difficulties you face - despite the fact that you work. For instance - are your place of work aware of your condition, and have they put any reasonable adjustments in place? Do you have any physical, concentration, or exhaustion difficulties that affect your work that your employer is aware of and ignores? What's your sickness record like? By the way you don't have to answer these questions here - I mention these things as something you should put in your application if they are relevant.

I know you mention here that your conditions cause additional expenses - but an assessor won't care. They only look at the difficulty you have as per the specific criteria for care and/or mobility - so put all your focus on that.
It sounds as if you have a supportive doctor, and if you could include a letter giving an update on your health, that would be good. Don't let them say they fully support your PIP application (The DWP hate that and will ignore it).

No one can guarantee that you won't get declined again. I'm afraid that is possible, but following the guidance here will certainly improve your chances. The Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews - is the one you want to look at. benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip If you have any specific questions as you go through each question - come back and ask.

I know this is not the first time you applied - but don't assume they will look back at anything you've previously explained to them - you will need to apply as if you are doing it for the first time.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie, MissBee

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #292098 by MissBee
Thank you for replying. I will read through the guide and have nother look at my application. I will come back to you if I need any more help.
Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.