× Members

HAVE THEY STOPPED Council tax reductions due to disability

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291793 by Laura
(Using predicted text as it’s not readable if I write myself)
I don’t suppose you no if council tax reductions have changed or not as I was originally told by Kirklees council that I had zero council tax to pay
Due to my disabilities and multiple chronic illnesses
Being a single mum with 3 children in full time education

I also had single person reduction and it meant my council tax was zero to pay
However it’s suddenly changed after April this year to say I now must pay council tax
That they’ve done a court summons for it because I ignored the bills thinking they were scam letters

It no longer shows any disability reduction or discount on my council tax bill just the single person reduction

I’ve had to use my enhanced rate pip for both care and mobility elements to pay my council tax to stop legal action

I’m unfit for work due to my disabilities and multiple chronic illnesses and I’d been assessed as unable to work by universal credit
My only income is my universal credit and my enhanced rate for both compomnts pip
I only get child benefit for my two youngest children and my daughter who is in full time college is my career but isn’t paid any carers allowance job centre said she can’t get carers allowance for looking after me or her younger siblings

We’ve tried applying for carers allowance for her as she’s 17 she’s cared for me since 13 years old but our job centre says she can’t get it while she’s in college my assistance dog is having to help me as there’s no care provided for me from my council
I’m just left on one level of my house all day
My daughter is also pregnant and in full time at college doing health and social care and she gets no benefits or income of her own

I don’t understand why I suddenly have to pay council tax and I can’t find a straight answer from my council about it they just took payment and aren’t helping me understand why it’s changed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291811 by Gary
Hi laura

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Your question is out side the remit of the forum, even if it was not we could not give you an answer as it depends on a number of factors which we do not have. We would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation who will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration when giving you accurate advice; advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.