× Members

Do I even stand a chance?

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #291912 by velvet
Do I even stand a chance? was created by velvet
I really do not want to be here but...

I am considering making a claim for PIP. I have fibromyalgia diagnosed just short of 20 years and am in the LCWRA group on UC. I am also now waiting assessment (in my 50th year) for ADHD as it turns out a lot of my "non medical" difficulties in life match up with the descriptors on that.

I am very concerned that I simply do not have a lot of evidence. In the past 5 months I have seen my GP and been referred to 2 other services and been in a car accident right in the middle of referrals just to confuse things further. The net outcome is
  • ; Neurology with both CAT and MRI scans can find nothing significant, although there is damage from when I was a teenager, plus their report mentions me walking a mile and a half which prior to the car accident I managed once every 1 to 2 weeks and which took me between 80 and 120 minutes meaning a speed of 1 mph or 100 meters in 3.7 minutes. I can no longer manage that distance which was always in pain anyway but the distance itself suggests I am able to do it.
  • Physiotherapy referral 1 with xrays for long term damage to my right knee finds osteoarthritis which has progressed since 2009 and offset between tiba and femur. I have pain and some weakness in my right knee and leg, been given exercises no referral to surgical.
  • Physiotherapy referral 2 for whiplash, given exercises which reduced initial acute problems in back and shoulders and discharged. However have been left with residual issues and pains in shoulders did not have before almost certainly due to interaction of whiplash and fibro

I am a very private individual when it comes to my problems - even my family do not realise how much I struggle. Prior to seeking the referrals from the GP I had not seen a doctor since before Covid. I try to stay as active as I can and am likely to do things and push through even though I am in severe pain. I just have no way of evidencing or proving this. The GP can say what was covered in consultations but all the referrals and tests come back as "nothing to worry about" or "some abnormalities but can still function"

With such sparse evidence and my preference to grit my teeth and get through it somehow I worry I am just going to let myself in for a whole lot of stress and anxiety, being called a liar all for nothing. How are we supposed to provide evidence of something that does not show in tests?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 22 hours ago #291942 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Do I even stand a chance?
Hi Velvet

There are never guarantees when applying for PIP (or any other benefit) - so I can't answer your question. Two people can appear to have exactly the same conditions; one person will be awarded it, and the other won't.

The DWP is not interested in the condition per se but its impact on daily living and/or mobility against the specific PIP criteria. You say that you are a very private person, and I respect that, but if you don't go into detail on your PIP form, you will lessen your chances of getting an award. You will have to explain your struggles with pain and how that affects you. Many claimants with fibromyalgia do struggle to get other people to understand the impact. The 'proof' you have is in what you say. You can keep a diary for a couple of weeks to show how you are affected, and we have an example of that in the guides area. No one can prove pain. If you don't take medication for it - you can say why. I am assuming that it will not just be the pain - but the other symptoms, such as exhaustion, or 'fibro fog' etc will also have an impact.

Have you looked through our Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews? Go through each question and see examples that you could apply to yourself. You will get a feel of what you need to say - to get your point over. Only you can decide whether 'gritting' your teeth is something you want to continue with. Will you be believed with scare evidence? Honestly, the whole process is a lottery. There are plenty of people who have fibromyalgia and have got PIP and plenty who have been refused.

Although the benefits are different, you have been placed in the LCWRA, which means someone believes you have difficulties.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: velvet, Charlie

More
4 weeks 16 hours ago #291956 by velvet
Replied by velvet on topic Do I even stand a chance?
Thank you.
I can fill out the form properly and have used the guides on this site several times before (they have been used for UC and as you say was believed that time) I just worry that it is simply my word. My world is unfortunately shrinking and I have to ask for help however much I hate doing so.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.