× Members

Change of name - PIP and ESA (CB)

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #291997 by DarrenL
Change of name - PIP and ESA (CB) was created by DarrenL
I have recently changed my forename and surname to take those of my nans maiden name and my grandads middle name. My parents were really distant as a child and my nan bought me up. So changed name to honour her before I got to old.

I’ve sent letters to the DWP by recorded post to inform them of the change. I sent them by recorded.

But, since sending them I’ve been full of dread and anxiety that I get the dreaded reassessment letters.

I have a ten year ongoing award for PIP from last June at the enhanced rate for both. I have a Motability car. I am in the ESA CB support group.

But my mind is working overtime at a simple name change with the DWP.

Anybody else done a name change and it’s just gone through ok? I am fretting. :(

Would they ask me for reassessment do you think?

I am profoundly Deaf and dread communicating with DWP as it’s so long winded not being able to talk to them to explain.

Thanks everyone

DarrenL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #292012 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Change of name - PIP and ESA (CB)
Hi DarrenL

You do not have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence. www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll.

You should not be asked for a reassessment due to a name change.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Charlie

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #292016 by DarrenL
Replied by DarrenL on topic Change of name - PIP and ESA (CB)
Thanks Gary, I’ve done the legal deed poll and supplied a copy to the DWP.

Just fretting a bit, we all know what they are like sometimes.

Thank again.

DarrenL

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #292037 by pomaus
Replied by pomaus on topic Change of name - PIP and ESA (CB)
You will not have any problems as long as you changed your name properly via a deedpoll.

I changed mine a couple of months ago, sent off the deed poll to the DWP along with an accompanying letter.

I had no problems whatsoever.

Hope this offers some reassurance to you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Charlie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid