× Members

ESA - going over hours

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #292055 by ST
ESA - going over hours was created by ST
Hi - what happens if you accidentally go over the 16 hours one week. Most weeks I am well under and the permitted work (often just 1-2 hours) as I what I do is very ad hoc due to fluctuating nature of my conditions. Will they just subtract one week? Or do I have to reapply all over again? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #292057 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - going over hours
ST

If it is New Style ESA or legacy Contribution Based ESA then you should lose just a weeks money, legacy Income Related is more complicated as technically you lose entitlement and can then only make a new claim for UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292178 by ST
Replied by ST on topic ESA - going over hours
Thank you G - appreciate your response - it is new style ESA - it is so unclear to try and find this information. I can't see it actually documented anywhere when I'm googling.

Do you know where I might find this so I can use it to back myself up if needed? Everytime I phone and speak to them I get given contradictory information.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292185 by Gordon
ST

I can't find anything that specifically covers this situation, all the documentation covers a claimant working within the rules, not one who steps out of them.

Just to clarify, you need to be working for less than 16 hours a week.

I can point you to the legislation but you would need to refer to two separate sections. One details the requirements to be considered as doing Permitted Work, the other covers working when the work is not considered as PW.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292203 by ST
Replied by ST on topic ESA - going over hours
Thanks - anywhere you can point me in direction of would be good. I'm normally well under 15hrs 59 mins. I.e. 0hrs or just a few 3-4 (I flutuate a lot). But it's sporadic work and due to not being relieved of duties (I.e. someone taking over in time) I think I will have my hours put down as over 16.

So yes I am wondering does is stop the whole claim or just for that week. When I first spoke with DWP regarding ESA and working I had got the impression it was just for that week but I can't find it written and seems to state a whole new claim needs to be made thereafter.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292205 by Gordon
ST

OK, so the first thing you want to look at is Regulation 37 and in particular 37.(1)

A claimant who works to be treated as not entitled to an employment and support allowance
37.—(1) Subject to the following paragraphs, a claimant is to be treated as not entitled to an employment and support allowance in any week in which that claimant does work

note: my emphasis

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/379/regulation/37

then have a look at

Exempt work

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/379/regulation/39

Historically, disqualification was only for the applicable week.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: ST

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.