× Members

PIP and work

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #292067 by JC
PIP and work was created by JC
Dear everyone,

I need some help please.
I am the appointee for my son, who has complex and life long mental health issues. He has been awarded PIP for two years now.
Owing to a change in his medication he will now be able to start work. However, his condition is never going to be 'cured' and his condition can deteriorate at any time.
I would like to inform DWP of him taking up work but do not know how to go about this.

Does anyone have experience in this area please?

Many thanks,
JG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #292082 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP and work
Hi JC

What you do next depends on your son's current health and a bit on the outcome you are expecting.

If your son's health has "improved," ask yourself if he still fulfils the PIP criteria of his current award. If he doesn't, you should inform the DWP as soon as possible. Depending on his current award, they would review it, and there's a good chance they will downgrade or remove it. The system can't take account of his condition deteriorating at any time.

However, you don't have to tell the DWP if he goes to work - you only have to tell them if his symptoms have improved. So if you think his mental health difficulties remain the same - there is nothing to report.

As his appointee - you are the one who knows that. If you need to report a change - you ring and say so.

If his award is downgraded, he can always apply for a change of circumstances in the future if his health deteriorates. If his award is removed, a new claim could also be made when necessary.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.