× Members

Univeral credit transitional protection

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #292071 by Jane52
To make sure I am understanding transitional protection correctly in transfer from tax credits to universal credit

1)That transitional protection will ensure I am not worse off on UC on date I apply

2)That this will erode over time if other elements increase or you become entitled to other elements…..until such a time that it erodes completely. - what are these elements and

How do I ensure I keep the transitional protection in place? When claiming WTC I would having earnings, expenses and would pay 100% of gross income into my private pension. Am self employed. If I continue paying 100% of my gross income into a private pension will that keep the transitional protection in place or will it have a negative effect on it?

Thank you for clarification of above

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #292101 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Univeral credit transitional protection
Hi Jane52

Your transitional protection element will be eroded/reduced penny for penny as your Universal Credit award increases. This means you won’t receive any increase in your Universal Credit award until your transitional protection element is reduced to £0.

Your Universal Credit award might increase if, for example:

> your rent increases, leading to an increase in your housing element
> a new element is added to your Universal Credit award (except the childcare element)
> annual uprating increases the Universal Credit rates (except the childcare element) and/or Local Housing Allowance rates for private renters.

The transitional protection element doesn’t reduce until you have been receiving Universal Credit for at least a month but, from your second assessment period onwards, any reductions are made in the same period an increase occurs.

The transitional protection element won't change if your earnings fluctuate (unless you are affected by the administrative earnings threshold rule described below) but the amount of Universal Credit you are eligible for may change based on your earnings in the usual way.

Can I lose my transitional protection element?

Your transitional protection element will be removed if, for example:

> a partner leaves or joins your household
> your household earnings drop below a set threshold (called the administrative earnings threshold), which is based on the national minimum wage for your age. The drop is measured from your first assessment period after joining Universal Credit and should last for three assessment periods in a row.
> your Universal Credit award ends

Once you lose the transitional protection element it will not be applied to any future awards. There is one exception if your Universal Credit award ends due to an increase in income and you make a new claim for Universal Credit within 3 months of your previous claim ending – in this case the new claim is considered a continuation of the old claim and the transitional protection element can be included again.

www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Transitional-p...ion-Universal-Credit

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.