× Members

Waiting for assessment

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292188 by Evelyn
Waiting for assessment was created by Evelyn
Hi, I submitted my review back in December last year and apart from a couple of text messages, I haven’t heard anything. Whilst I am not overly concerned as my award, originally to July 2024, was extended to April 2025, I wondered how much notice they currently give for the call or assessment? I am only worried as my husband has planned a trip away for our 40th wedding anniversary, only to Devon, but for 10 days; as no one will be at home I am worried that they may send me a date and either I won’t know they will ring me when on holiday, or the review will be just after I get back and I like to be properly prepared! I am thinking of preparing what I want to say and cover, but on the other hand I don’t want to do the prep then hear nothing about my assessment for months. Additionally, since sending the review, I have had neurological investigations including MRI and nerve conduction tests. I was waiting until I had seen the consultant again with the results, which will still be a couple of weeks. I definitely want them to have that evidence as it backs up a lot of the daily challenges that I have. Would it be better to phone and say I am having more tests and to delay any review until after that? Not sure I have the energy to wait on the phone for so long! On a positive note, I was dreading a Parkinsons diagnosis but that has thankfully been ruled out. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292195 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Waiting for assessment
Hi Evelyn

So glad to hear that a Parkinson's diagnosis has been ruled out.

The DWP won't halt a review because you're having tests. They couldn't manage the system if they waited for people's test results, as so many claimants are in a similar position. You tell them about symptoms even if you are yet to be diagnosed and inform them of any tests you are waiting for when you fill in your form.

You could ring and tell them now that you will be away on holiday between those dates - or you could send them a recorded delivery letter informing them - then at least you would be covered if anything went awry with the system.

You are supposed to be given 7 days written notice for an assessment. Sometimes, they try to send one earlier, but if that happens, you should challenge it. If you come back from your holiday and find that you have an assessment, you can always cancel it—but you can only do that once, and you would have to accept the second date they offered you regardless of whether it was convenient.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evelyn

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292200 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic Waiting for assessment
Thanks, I think I will phone up and tell them. At least then I won’t worry about it while we are away

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292204 by Bud
Replied by Bud on topic Waiting for assessment
Evelyn, I know it’s not ideal but perhaps you could make notes & take them with you. Ask them to call your mobile if you have one, that way you’ll get a few texts reminding you should they try & contact you about your assessment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evelyn

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292245 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic Waiting for assessment
Thank you. I am going to review my notes from 2020 and do some updates, just to get my head around everything. I suspect I still have a few months wait though as many are saying their awards are running out and mine still has 9 months to run
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Nickburnett

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.