× Members

ringing in the evening

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292290 by angelchristmas
ringing in the evening was created by angelchristmas
Not only did I have to endure nearly 2 hours for the telephone assessment on Monday but lo and behold - now I do not have my friend (witness) with me - the same person rang again for another 16 minutes - while I was trying to have some peace and quiet - and of course my friend was not with me - is this normal? or deceitful - she kept saying the auditors wanted more info so she was sorry she had to ask me questions again. I ended up being very angry because it was a case of how many minutes do you take to walk from car to building, how many minutes to walk from kitchen to office, how many minutes .... I just said LOOK I am in pain when I walk. I don't really count the minutes. Come and take a video if you like. I was so angry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292330 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ringing in the evening
ac

Sometimes follow-up calls do happen. The questions on how long it takes you to walk a given distance allow the assessor to calculate how fast you walk and whether you are walking to a necessary standard and half as fast as an able person might, things that can lead to points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292349 by denby
Replied by denby on topic ringing in the evening
Am I wrong that if every step is in pain, this is not 'to an acceptable standard'? [more or less regardless of speed?], Thanks

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292353 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ringing in the evening
denby

Yes and no, or more appropriately no and yes!

Walking in pain does not mean that it is not to an acceptable standard, remember the primary assessment for Moving Around is the distance, walking 200m in pain is unlikely to convince an assessor that a person should score.

There is Case Law but it looks at pain and a number of other factors such as stopping, speed of walking, whether it is repeatable and the speed of the walking.

You could certainly argue that severe pain (note: this is not defined in law) means that it is not to a necessary standard and of course, pain that limits the distance that can be walked should always be considered.

As always it is consistency that matters, saying you are in pain walking and then telling the assessor that they go shopping will undermine the argument.

Where shorter distances are being looked at and in particular less than 20m then it would be reasonable to assume that the claimants walking in the house will also be limited, even though the test itself only looks at moving around outside. I always suggest members time themselves moving around their house and to measure distances from, for example; where they sit to to the toilet and to do this over a period of time so they have a dataset of their limitations. Empirical data will always help overcome the assessor's assumptions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.