× Members

No supporting evidence

More
1 week 1 day ago #292481 by velvet
No supporting evidence was created by velvet
I am attempting to make a PIP claim and am carefully going through the guides (I have not phoned yet) and I am concerned about the supporting evidence bits.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2006, and have not been in work since then. In 2017 I made a voluntary switch to UC which I have found better suits my situation (accumulative income unrelated to hours worked in any particular time period). I have been LCWRA since before 2017 and this was confirmed with a phone assessment somewhen during Covid.

My problems have slowly been getting worse over that time - not really any big changes in circumstances just a creeping slow deterioration (I suspect partly due to age lol) During most of that time I have not visited a GP or any other health professional, I have just been trying to live as good a life as I could. Earlier this year I visited a GP over a number of issues that were causing me more problems and worries and have had a couple of scans which have returned as "nothing significant".

That is the extent of my "evidence" I do not receive care or support from anyone, and about all my family and friends could add is reluctant to commit to plans because of cancelling, walks slowly, and says ouch a lot .

What sort of supporting evidence should I have and what do I do without it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #292491 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic No supporting evidence
Hi velvet

There are plenty of people with fibromyalgia who have been awarded PIP, but there are also a lot who get denied it, so you will have a fight on your hands.

I recommend keeping a diary for at least a fortnight. Below the PIP guides, you can see examples of one for fibromyalgia. In the diary, you will be able to highlight your difficulties and show a pattern. It's hard for the Health Professional to understand if you have no obvious evidence.

I hate to say it - but likely they will look at any pain medication you take. If you don't take any, you need to mention this head-on and give the reasons why. If you do take some, but it's not effective - say so. If you've tried things and they no longer work - say so.

Don't assume they will understand any of the symptoms you have which stop you from doing things - they won't. You have to tell them as clearly as possible. If you don't have any help but you need extra help - say so. If the pain, exhaustion, or 'fibro fog' prevents you from doing things mentioned on the PIP criteria - say so.

If you have ever been seen at a pain clinic, say so, and if you have ever had physiotherapy or hydrotherapy for your fibromyalgia, say so. Talk about any other referrals you might have had.

If you drive, they will jump on it—they always do. There is a good post about claiming PIP and driving that you might find useful.

I know you say friends and family can't say much, but if you have anyone who has witnessed your struggles and is willing to put pen to paper - then it's worth including.

If you have any old evidence, send it in. They are mostly only interested in the last three years, but I've helped claimants get awarded PIP without any recent evidence.

I hope this helps.

Come back and ask if you have any further questions and we will try to help

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 23 hours ago #292528 by velvet
Replied by velvet on topic No supporting evidence
Do they look at the evidence from all the previous decisions that have been made on other claims? To me, it is logical that they would start from my UC claim where I am LCWRA, however, I have long suspected that government agencies do not share my idea of logic. The previous decisions and assessments should show at least some of the pattern.

More
1 week 19 hours ago #292534 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic No supporting evidence
Hi Velvet

No, they will not start with your UC claim when considering your PIP. Although there is a little overlap between the two benefits, even when the criteria appear similar, they look at them differently. There are people who claim UC and get refused PIP, and there are those who claim PIP and have been refused UC. The assessor who is looking at your PIP may be aware that your claim UC - but they will not be looking at the paperwork.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 16 hours ago #292546 by terdun9
Replied by terdun9 on topic No supporting evidence
Hi Velvet
My husband and I, He is retirement age, me I now have to wait 4 more years yet to get my pension. We had to go to UC when he retired, Only to find out they just took the pips off of our UC, any way. Really hope this does not happen to you
My current PIP review is in and like you, I have known new evidence but reading your post answers I learned it was possible to let them know if we are on any waiting list myself I'm waiting for 2 surgeries so thank you I would not of known anything about it if I had not read your great post Thank you, Velvet

Good Luck on your case I'm sure your get it sorted, and please don't stress over it I know it's easy to say, but I also have fibromyalgia and much more stay strong we can do it
Jac

To Much Pain Will Kill Y ou In The End
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
1 week 13 hours ago #292551 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic No supporting evidence
Hi terdun9

You are classed as a mixed age couple

Your post is incorrect, UC is not reduced for claimants receiving PIP.

PIP is ignored as income for benefit purposes and for tax. Your husbands state pension and any private pensions will be taken into consideration when claiming UC.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.