× Members

Universal Credit Review Experience

More
1 week 1 day ago #292500 by Charlie
Universal Credit Review Experience was created by Charlie
Hello!

I recently came up for a Universal Credit review and found there wasn't much comprehensive testimony regarding the process online, so I thought I'd write it up for future anxious people googling!

On 14th May I got a message reading the following in my journal: "Hi [name],
We are reviewing your Universal Credit claim to make sure your payments are correct.
As part of the review, we are creating to-dos for you to complete. These to-dos must be completed by
28.05.24 or your Universal Credit payments will be affected."

The to-dos were to upload 4 months of statements from my current account (the bank account my Universal Credit is paid into) and a copy of my ID (I chose to upload a photo of my passport, and I was asked to upload a photo of me holding up the photo page of the passport too), which I did the same day.

On 5th June (three-ish weeks later) I received a message in my journal, an email, and a text informing me of a phone appointment for the 13th June. I was given a specific time for the appointment, and the name of the person who would be taking it. I was told to ensure I had all documentation I'd provided (so the bank statements) to hand for the call, and that the call might take up to 30 minutes.

A week before the appointment and 24 hours before the appointment I got further text and email reminders.

Today (13th June) the call came at the specific time given (bang on time). I was told some details about my Universal Credit claim, and asked the security questions I set up when I first applied for Universal Credit. I had a script read to me which basically sums up to 'we're recording this call, we're doing this review to see if you're getting the right amount of money'. The person told me they were going to ask me if I had various financial products and proceeds, and that I just needed to say yes or no. She said that if I hadn't heard of something, I most likely didn't have it.

She ran through a BUNCH of different financial products - other debit accounts, stocks, shares, ISAs, savings accounts, property, proceeds from sale of property, a PayPal account, a Monzo or Revolut account, and other things I can't remember.

She then asked me about a specific person that I send money to and receive money from sometimes - she read off their bank number, so I was glad I had the bank statements directly in front of me to refer to and see who it was and what the context was. She confirmed it was fine and explicitly said they don't care what money is spent on and it was just to check it wasn't another account belonging to myself.

As I have PayPal and a couple of ISAs, she told me she'd set up to-dos in my Universal Credit journal to submit data relating to them - a PayPal statement covering the same period as the bank statements (which can be downloaded directly from PayPal with a custom date range quite easily), and proof of the amount in my ISAs. She gave me opportunity to ask questions, and the call ended.

It took under 10 minutes and was probably the most neutral and non-upsetting call I've ever had with thw DWP!

The to-dos appeared in my journal IMMEDIATELY, and because I'd expected them to ask, I was able to submit the documentation instantly. The ISAs are with a bank who only do once-yearly statements for ISAs and can't provide present-day ones on request, so I submitted a screenshot of the app showing the amount of money in the ISAs as my proof. A note also appeared on my journal confirming that I'd attended the appointment.

About an hour and a half later, I got a message on my journal reading "Your Universal Credit Claim Review is now complete.
Following our interview, and the information you provided, we can confirm there is no change to your Universal Credit."

For anyone worrying, I'd say that this process is genuinely not something to worry about. I literally vomited with anxiety before the call - I don't do well with calls, and I was scared I'd be criticised for how I spend my money or incessantly questioned about financial gifts PayPal'd over by friends, but it was very light and business-like, no discussion of that at all. If you're called up for a review, I'd recommend:

-Downloading your PayPal statement for the period covered by the bank statements before the phone interview
-Have evidence ready for other accounts, like ISAs. (They explicitly told me they don't look at credit cards, so you don't need to worry about credit card statements)
-Keep the statements directly in front of you during the call, and if you have lots of bank transfers in and out without a name attached, write a list out of bank numbers and the person associated with them so you can confidently answer if asked 'Who do you have lots of transactions between your account and account number 123456789?'

Good luck, and I hope this helps someone! It's the sort of detailed break-down I wish I'd been able to find in one place when I got the initial review message, so hopefully it helps someone :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud, BIS, Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #292518 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Universal Credit Review Experience
Thanks Charlie

Your post will be very useful, we have had recently a number of posts asking whether or not the calls are genuine.

We have always advised members to contact DWP and ask.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud

More
1 week 1 day ago #292521 by Bud
Replied by Bud on topic Universal Credit Review Experience
So these journals have to be completed on a regular basis, & if you give the wrong answer the UC gets stopped? It seems that one way or another they will look into your bank account.

More
1 week 19 hours ago #292536 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Universal Credit Review Experience
Hi Bud

The DWP have always been able to ask people to provide financial evidence including bank statements.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud, Charlie

More
1 week 18 hours ago #292538 by The Dog Mother
Replied by The Dog Mother on topic Universal Credit Review Experience
Hi, and thanks for that @Charlie
Sounds quite similar to an Esa one I did late last year. Without asking for photographic proof though i might add.
It was all straightforward too,was asked to post my bank statements, asked what other benefit I got if any, how much monthly etc ,no problems, and he returned my bank statements a week later. Said all absolutely perfect with no changes in my benefit.
Its good when it all goes smoothly ,esp as the letter saying they'd phone was out of the blue. Glad it went well for you too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie, Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.