× Members

Assessment appointment and struggling

More
1 week 18 hours ago #292540 by Hazel
I posted just over a month ago about getting my PIP claim in before my upcoming retirement age. I have now had a text saying I have a phone assessment appointment towards the end of this month. Just wondered what sort of thing this entails and what they ask you etc. Additionally have had a really rough time - now have a new injury (back injury) so I uploaded details about that on the online option. Had MRI scans done yesterday but then had emergency services out due to a locked knee last night which left me screaming with pain. GP hasn't done the letter I asked for but I think was waiting for results of MRI scans so those won't be till after my telephone appointment at the end of the month. I don't want to mess up the interview by sounding like a garbled hysterical wreck due to the traumatic pain and struggling to cope with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 18 hours ago #292542 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Assessment appointment and struggling
Hi Hazel,

It can be a whole host of different questions, but usually relates to the questions and answers on the PIP form. If you have a look at the guides on here, it will give you a rough idea of what to expect. It is worth preparing though, and having some answers written down to help you thinkwhilst on the phone assessment.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hazel

More
1 week 16 hours ago #292547 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Assessment appointment and struggling
Dear Hazel, if the pain is traumatic don't be ashamed to let the assessor hear it. This is the real you. Don't ever try to pretend with them that you are not in as bad state as you really are.

And you can perfectly well tell them about the scans etc for which you don't yet have the results. I had "no formal assessment" cut'n'pasted all over my PA4 but got that assessment [which I'd waited over two years for] days later and it confirmed all I'd said. So now after a no-change MR they can argue that to the Tribunal Judge.

Be sure to let them know about the emergency services having to come out: not having had anything like that or trips to A&E was counted against me. As was lack of proof of the pain I am in whenever weight bearing. So if you can be heard squealing, ooh-ing and aah -ing fine!!! I wasn't, because I was sitting down for my over 2 1/2 hour grilling. [What annoyed me was the time wasted on descriptors where I have no problem]
Hope you get on OK using all the good tips in the Guide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Gary, Hazel

More
1 week 10 hours ago #292557 by Hazel
Replied by Hazel on topic Assessment appointment and struggling
Thank you so much. Yes I've found the information in the guide about telephone assessments now. Seems I need to be really quite prepared. Denby thank you. It's difficult isn't it. I tend to put on my "I'm fine" voice on the phone. And think if I say how bad things are they will think I'm making it up. But yes I will just say it as it is. I didn't actually go to hospital in the end as they unlocked my joint after gas and air. Wish I'd gone now as I'd have got a proper report afterwards! I could upload the paramedic report but it's pathetic and just says knee clicking and resolved after pain relief - which doesn't say the half of it!

But yes I'll give them details of the issues. Thank you very much.

More
4 days 11 hours ago #292595 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Assessment appointment and struggling
Glad to be of any help Hazel. Hope it goes Ok, whatever that is!
Denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.