× Members

State pension

More
1 week 3 days ago #292599 by Lynz
State pension was created by Lynz
My husband and I currently claim ESA & Housing benefit the claim is in his name we are both in the support group.

I have a few questions because people keep telling me different things about what will happen.

1. In October he will be 66 (I am 64)and will start to receive his pension, my question is will the ESA claim just come to an end automatically when he starts to receive his pension ?

2. Do I need to contact DWP and start a new claim in my name for Universal Credit?

3. Will we still get the same benefits but all under the Universal Credit (severe disablement etc that we get now)

4. From a financial point of view will we still get the same amount of mo eye each month,but just in a different way I.e. Universal Credit ?

5. When should I contact them or do I wait for them to contact me?

I find it all so confusing and I'm worrying if we will be able to pay our bills.

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #292621 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic State pension
Hi Lynz

I will try and answer post;

1) Yes, ESA will stop the day before your husbandreaches state pension age.

2) Yes, you need to apply for UC before your ESA stops, if you do apply before your ESA stops you should get placed in the LCWRA group, you do not need to give your workcoach a fit note, if they ask for one then they are incorrect and ask to speak to their line manager.

3) No, most claimants on ESA who receive the disability premiums are worse off applying for UC. If you do not apply for UC before your ESA stops then you will have to go through the assessment phase (13 weeks) and would loose over £1,200.

4) No, you will be slightly worse off if you at this moment in time receive the severe disability and the enhance disability premiums.

5) As stated above, you need to apply for UC before your ESA stops, if not you may have to go through the assessment phase.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 2 days ago #292624 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic State pension
L

I am a little confused by your post, you say

"My husband and I currently claim ESA & Housing benefit the claim is in his name we are both in the support group."

If there is a single ESA claim and it is in your husband's name then you are part of his household and do not have a claim for ESA in your own right and are not in the Support Group.

OR

Do you have a separate claim for what I assume would be Contribution Based ESA and have been assessed and placed in the Support Group?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.