× Members

Help with migration from Income Support and Housing benefit to Universal Credit

More
1 week 3 hours ago #292688 by Andrea47
Hello,

My adult son has received a migration notice to universal credit from income support and housing benefit. He also receives carers allowance for caring for me. I have severe M.E. My son and I live together and care for each other as best we can.

My son suddenly developed severe vertigo in 2013 which led to a hashimotos diagnosis. He was studying an HNC at the time and has not been able to start work. He has severe fatigue, IBS, vertigo, brain fog, poor concentration, poor memory symptoms from Hashimotos diagnosis in 2013. My son also has type 1 diabetes since 2003. For the last three years my son has developed severe chronic anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia and OCD.

He has and still is experiencing gripping pains in his chest at times and he becomes breathless easily. I would like him to see a cardiologist due to the symptoms as Hashimotos and diabetes can both affect the heart. My son can’t leave the house so this is impossible.

My son is very under medicated for Hashimotos as he can’t tolerate levothyroxine at higher levels as he experiences gastrointestinal gripping pains, chest pains and numbness in his face. He has become very unwell being under medicated, and especially over the last few years.

I am completing any forms for him as he can’t take in information from reading.

My questions are can I be his appointee to fill out the forms?

Can my son apply for universal credit as a carer, he won’t have to look for work then, and apply for ill health grounds later? I believe he wouldn’t need to attend any interviews is that correct?

If he applies on ill health grounds now, does he have to complete the UC10 form within the 28 days you have to complete the universal credit application? What is the process, I would be grateful for any help.

It’s a new GP that has visited the house to take blood tests last two times this year, our GP has retired, and she doesn’t know my son or me, so I’m scared she doesn’t give good supporting evidence. He hasn’t been prescribed anything for anxiety. I talk to them on the phone as my son is too anxious.

Should I ask for supporting evidence now from our GP?

The due by date for the application is 4th September.

What guides should I use to help with what to say in filling out the UC10 form? ESA guidance or PIP?

I’m going to put in substantial risk if he were not found to have full ill health grounds as he is really struggling with life as it is. Do you have any guidance for help with wording please?

We haven’t made any disability claims for him as we’re both so ill and incapable of understanding and completing any forms but now I’m being pushed to do so.

I would be grateful for any guidance and help.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 49 minutes ago #292696 by Robbie
As your son receives Carers Allowance, his claim for UC should be straightforward. He will be able to claim UC as a carer and it won't be necessary for him to have to obtain a fit note from his GP. As a carer he won't have to attend any ongoing appointments with the Jobcentre though it's possible / probable he will have to attend an initial appointment prior to UC being paid.

If your son is unable to complete a UC claim online then he can contact Citizens Advice to get help as CA have a contract with the DWP to assist with claims to UC if needed (under the "Help To Claim" scheme). Or could you help him complete the online form? I don't know if it has to be completed in one go.

Has the migration motice recently arrived? He has 3 months to complete the migration by claiming UC which will give him time to contact CA.

More
1 week 20 minutes ago #292697 by Gary
Hi Andrea47

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

I will try and answer some of your questions, we would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

1) To answer your first question www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

2) Yes your son can apply for UC as a carer; www.sense.org.uk/information-and-advice/...oney/carer-benefits/

3) I have not heard of a UC10 form, I frequently come across a UC50 form, to start the process of claiming WCA you have to give your workcoach a fit note. The issue you have is that you cannot claim both the care element and LCWRA.

4) If your Dr does not know your son personally then all they can write is what is written on your sons record, it may be better if you writeasupporting letter as to what support you give to your son and why.

5) If you click on the guides tab at the top of the forum page it will give you a list of all the guides available but cannot see a UC10 guide.

6) In regards to wordings, you will get lots of hints and tips fom the guides.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.