× Members

Universal Credit and self employed income calculations

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293117 by zak
Hi

Can someone tell me how self-employed income works with Universal Credit.

I'm about to start my first year on UC, as being self employed in a new business. I understand that I have one year before the minimum income floor is applied. I get all that

What I don't get is how the uc is calculated per month depending on what income I've made.

For example I have just got my first client worth £3600, so how best would it be for the client to pay me from a UC point of view? All-in-one or say £1200 over 3 months. (I can choose this)

The way I understand it is like this though this might be totally wrong

If I get paid the whole £3600 in one go, for my first month I would then lose the UC for that month as Im way over the profit threshold for that month but I'd get full UC for months 2 & 3 (assuming I earn nothing else, for the sake of argument)

But if I get paid £1200 x 3 over three months I would lose the UC for all three months as I'm over the limit for every month

Is that how it works, and if so then it'd be best for me to get the money paid in one go up front right?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293141 by Gary
Hi Zak

Your question is outside the remit of the forum, we would advise you to contact your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid